Alexandria LaunchLabs is the premiere startup platform designed to satisfy a key unmet need for affordable space for seed-stage life science companies in the San Francisco Bay Area. Located at the Alexandria Center for Life Science – Stanford Research Park in Palo Alto, Alexandria LaunchLabs provides move-in-ready laboratory/office space, first-class support resources, shared equipment and services, creative amenities and startup capital – all of which are critical for dramatically accelerating the growth of seed-stage companies in the Bay Area.
We are seeking a Laboratory Operations Manager for LaunchLabs in Palo Alto. The LaunchLabs Laboratory Operations Manager will have primary responsibility for daily operations of the facility, managing the office and laboratory requirements for its client tenants.
The Company is an equal opportunity employer and consider all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding or related medical conditions, marital or registered domestic partner status, family-care status, veteran or military status, age, national origin or ancestry, disability, medical condition, genetic information, sexual orientation, or any category protected by applicable federal, state or local law.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assist Alexandria regional team in lab space planning for the LaunchLabs.
- Develop (with third party vendors as necessary) standard operating procedures and programs for laboratory safety, safety training, chemical inventories, laboratory audits, laboratory operational permits, hazardous waste disposal, and maintain accurate and up-to-date records on all training, permits and incidents.
- Coordinate vendor contracts and establish programs for purchasing laboratory supplies, chemical reagents and general consumables to be stocked at the facility.
- Establish and maintain service and maintenance programs on all LaunchLabs owned laboratory and office equipment.
- Maintain and provide supplies and services for the laboratory uses.
- Act as the primary interface between the tenants for scheduling the use of all shared equipment.
- Provide guidance and support to tenants, initiate new services for tenants as required (e.g, coordinating shipment of lab samples, providing key vendor contacts, etc.).
- Assist tenants with recommending laboratory equipment/systems and coordinate installation of any equipment, assuring that all equipment requirements, including lab utilities and any safety requirements are met.
- Coordinate facilities repairs and routine maintenance.
- Administer all license agreements, conduct tenant orientations, safety training and maintain access controls.
- Work with the ARE team (Technology Services) to operate and maintain all LaunchLabs networks, telephones, and AV services.
- Work with the ARE team (underwriting, leasing) on no less than a quarterly basis to alert of any tenant issues; review near-term tenant rollover, etc.
- Work with the ARE team (programming) to participate in strategic programming and events in the LaunchLabs space.
Qualifications and Experience:
- 5 + years of experience running a science laboratory.
- Experience of setting up a new lab is a plus.
- Prior wet lab bench experience is preferred.
- Familiarity with the life science industry and local Stanford ecosystem.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment, multi-task, and prioritize effectively.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills to interact with individuals at all levels, provide guidance, and great customer service.
- Must be detail-oriented, organized, and be able to consistently deliver timely and accurate results.
- Planning/organizing—the individual prioritizes and plans work activities, uses time efficiently and develops realistic action plans.
- Quality control—the individual demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness and monitors own work to ensure quality.
- Problem solving—the individual identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner and gathers and analyzes information skillfully.
- Adaptability—the individual adapts to changes in the work environment, manages competing demands and is able to deal with frequent change, delays or unexpected events.
- Dependability—the individual is consistently at work, follows instructions, responds to management direction and solicits feedback to improve performance.
- Safety and security—the individual actively promotes and personally observes safety and security procedures, and uses equipment and materials properly.