This position coordinates and directs the activities of laboratory management to assure profitable and successful operations. These activities include: technical direction, quality control and assurance, safety, customer and employee relations, service/program development, cost control, and general administration. The incumbent provides technical consulting services to the client as needed. The incumbent works with the Regional Manager of Technical Services in support of sales.
- Assist Division Vice President (DVP) on developing a strategic plan for the laboratory: with the management team implement this plan.
- Provide technical direction and supervision to laboratory personnel. Maintain work environment that encourages equal employment opportunity, employee development and communication.
- Monitor laboratory and administrative performance to maintain or improve operational and financial efficiencies. Develop corrective action plans to address identified deficiencies. Implement new services and markets as planned by DVP and corporate.
- Standardize laboratory methodology for existing and future services utilizing Silliker’s Standard Operating Procedures. Ensure new methodology is implemented and tested so that all analysis activities are in compliance with quality, safety, and other applicable procedures.
- Establish and maintain positive relationship between key personnel and customer base. Monitor and resolve customer complaints, answer questions, and provide technical expertise when necessary. Assist customers in interpretation of laboratory data and provide related consulting. Participate in marketing, sales and customer relations programs as required by the DVP and corporate. Provide guidance and technical expertise to the client and company personnel to understand and solve their technical problems and issues. Assist client in interpretation of laboratory data and provide related consulting.
- Develop and maintain systems that insure the technical competency of personnel within the business unit.
- Provide corporate personnel with necessary information to document the progress of the laboratory. Administer corporate human resource programs relating to employee recruitment and retention, compensation, training and development, equal employment opportunity, performance appraisal, and employment record documentation.
- Coordinate and implement appropriate research and special projects within the business unit.
- Responsibility and authority to cease specific analyses whenever evidence from the quality system indicates the process is not in control and the quality of the results to be submitted to the client is compromised as a result of the non-conformances.
- Develop and maintain expertise in food science and technology, and related technologies through available scientific literature and by contributing to scientific publications and presentations.
- Maintain knowledge of Laboratory Information Management System (LIMS) that is required to complete job responsibilities.
- Ensure that employees obtain knowledge of LIMS sufficient to perform job responsibilities. Institute and maintain systems to monitor and verify related LIMS training.
- Support corporate quality and continuous improvement process. Actively participate in and support quality teams to improve the service provided by the laboratory. Attend meetings and conferences to support corporate quality objective.
- This position has the responsibility and authority to initiate action to prevent or minimize departures from the quality system or test procedures. This authority includes addressing resource needs to properly address issues such as client turn-around time requirements, overtime limits, employee turnover, work stoppage and assure the appropriate type and amount of materials are ready and available for use.
- Perform other related duties as needed.
This position needs an advanced knowledge of microbiology and food science obtained from a Masters degree or equivalent experience, to provide information to customers and employees as well as implement new testing procedures. A thorough knowledge of chemistry is necessary to manage the chemistry personnel and the analysis that is conducted in that department. A general knowledge of the business disciplines of finance, budgeting, sales, and marketing practices are necessary to gain new business and maintain current customers successfully. A general knowledge of personal computers is necessary to track laboratory information and produce documents to support the management function. General knowledge of the Laboratory Information Management System (LIMS) is needed to review analysis results and correct any discrepancies. Analytical skills are needed to problem solve and fulfill customer's analysis needs. Strong oral and written communication skills are essential to this position for effective customer contact. Customer relation skills are needed to obtain and provide information to the customer. Strong management skills, obtained from previous supervisory experience, are necessary to insure that the laboratory runs smoothly. Planning skills are essential to maintain efficient laboratory operations.