Provides administrative direction for the Clinical Laboratory(s) for Florida Hospital Zephyrhills and Florida Hospital Dade City. Organizes and leads the functions and activities of both Departments of Laboratory Services including pre and post analytical services ensuring staffing effectiveness, regulatory compliance and quality. Provides leadership support and oversight in the following laboratory areas (Chemistry, Hematology, Microbiology, Serology, Phlebotomy and Point of Care Testing). Ensures that services are of the best quality, are cost contained, and are carried out in an expeditious manner. Responsible for recognizing results or problems that require referral to the laboratory pathologist. Maintains performance improvement activities within the department and participates in CQI activities. Formulates budget. Maintains effective physician and intradepartmental relations. In addition, this individual coordinates the activities of employees performing laboratory functions and supervises their actions through departmental leaders to ensure regulatory and institutional requirements and services are maintained.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Ensures that services are of the utmost quality and results are turned out expediently.
• Maintains accurate laboratory records.
• Makes sure that all laboratory policies and actual practices are in accordance with Federal and State regulations.
• Ensures that all laboratory areas are in compliance with all mandated safety protocols.
• Follows laboratory policies and procedures; maintains quality control practices.
• Oversees the performance, reviews and evaluations of proficiencies, competencies, and validation of laboratory procedures for all laboratory departments.
• Oversees selection, training, education and evaluation of performance for all laboratory personnel.
• Administrative duties for laboratory department.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS REQUIRED:
• Manages and directs the department’s administrative and financial functions
• Prepares and is accountable for departmental operating budget and capital budget.
• Evaluates personnel in accordance with the performance standards in histology, chemistry, microbiology, hematology, serology, cytology, point-of-care, and blood bank.
• Performs all aspects of patient care in an environment that optimizes patient safety and reduces the likelihood of medical/healthcare errors.
• Addresses complaints regarding laboratory functions and works with supervisors to resolve the complaints.
• Designs lab requisitions and coordinates improvements in laboratory reporting systems; serves as liaison with Information Management Services as it pertains to clinical laboratories.
• Attends and participates in administrative and other meetings, as appropriate.
• Maintains established hospital and departmental policies, procedures and objectives; maintains the department’s continuous quality improvement, safety, environmental and infection control and compliance with requirements of accreditation and regulatory agencies.
• Assists with care and maintenance of department equipment and supplies; develops an inventory system; oversees cost control measures in the utilization of department supplies, materials, equipment and personnel.
• Is responsible for the preparations of reports, payroll records and other statistical data as required.
• Directs the department’s continuing education programs, directs the in-house meetings on monthly basis.
• Establishes and monitors criteria for the immediate notification of the practitioner responsible for the patient, when critical limits of specified test results are exceeded; implements corrective actions as required.
• It is accessible to the Laboratory staff for consultation as needed.
• Maintains contact with physicians to solicit appropriate input; identified problems are addressed in a timely manner.
• Maintains an approved policy and procedure manual that is available to all personnel.
• Provides effective direction and policy interpretation to personnel in managing their own work, offer advice in handling special operational matters and administrative concerns.
• Employs a general supervisor to provide on-site supervision of highly complexity tests in accordance with the applicable regulations.
• Responsible for the laboratory enrollment in an approved proficiency testing program for all tests performed.
• Oversees that the proficiency testing samples are tested as required.
• Oversees that the proficiency test results are returned within the specific time limits that the proficiency testing program dictates for evaluation
• Oversees that the Laboratory Leadership members will review the proficiency testing reports and evaluate the Laboratory’s performance.
• Responsible for the supervision of problems identification and resolution for proficiencies that require corrective action.
• Responsible for supervising the implementation of approved corrective action plans when any proficiency testing result is found to be unacceptable.
• Adheres to dress code, appearance is neat and clean.
• Completes annual education requirements.
• Maintains regulatory requirements, including all State, Federal and TJC regulations.
• Maintains regulatory requirements for associated physicians’ offices and waived testing.
• Maintains and ensures patient confidentiality at all times.
• Reports to work on time and as scheduled.
• Wears identification while on duty.
• Attends annual review and performs departmental in-services.
• Works and maintains a good rapport and cooperative working relationships with physicians, departments and staff.
• Represents the organization in a positive and professional manner.
• Attends committee, COI and management meetings, as appropriate.
• Resolves personnel concerns at the departmental level, utilizing the grievance process as required.
• Ensures compliance with policies regarding department operations, infection control, fire, and safety.
• Effectively and consistently communicates administrative directive to personnel and encourages interactive departmental meetings and discussions.
• Complies with all organizational policies regarding ethical business practices.
• Communicates the mission, ethics and goals of the hospital, as well as the focus statement of the department.
• Strong knowledge of regulatory requirements with CLIA, State of Florida, OSHA, CAP, TJC.
• Demonstrates leadership qualities, organizational and service management skills.
• Moderate computer skills (Microsoft Office products, etc.) needed to develop and maintain laboratory documents and performance improvement records.
• Ability to communicate both verbally and in written form with persons of varied backgrounds in a respectful, effective manner.
• Ability and willingness to work flexible schedules required to oversee the operations of the laboratory.
• Follows standard precautions at all times with appropriate use of PPE.
• Demonstrates knowledge of new testing methods, products, instrumentation; remains informed on all current technologies.
• Demonstrates the ability to be flexible, organized, communicate effectively and function well under stressful situations.
• Demonstrates the value of team concept on a consistent basis.
• Oversees the preparation for inspection process, actively participates during the inspection process, and implements correctives plans, as needed.
• High level of self-motivation and ability to work independently
• Ability to handle multiple priorities and projects
• Ability to build and maintain appropriate peer relationships to facilitate organizational objectives.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS PREFERRED:
Strong coaching and mentorship skills
Strong service recovery skills
Lean and Six Sigma
Able to communicate effectively in English, both verbally and in writing.
Additional languages preferred.
Basic computer knowledge.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
• Bachelor in Science Degree in Medical Technology, Biology or Chemistry
• Recent managerial experience in the clinical laboratory of an acute care hospital.
• Experience with regulatory and accreditation requirements of laboratory operations.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE PREFERRED:
Master Degree in laboratory science, public administration or health care administration.
5 years at a laboratory leadership level.
LICENSURE, CERTIFICATION OR REGISTRATION REQUIRED:
• State of Florida, Department of Health, Division of Medical Quality Assurance, license at the supervisory level, in chemistry, hematology, immunology and microbiology.
LICENSURE, CERTIFICATION OR REGISTRATION PREFERRED:
• ASCP or other national laboratory certification preferred.