Responsible for engineering and implementing laboratory automation solutions in a dynamic, high-throughput genomic laboratory specializing in clinical trial testing. As an integral member of the laboratory automation team, this individual will work directly with automation team members, Laboratory Operations, Assay Development, Information Technology, and other internal stakeholders to understand requirements, and to engineer and improve new and existing automation solutions.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Adhere to all Q Squared Solutions policies, procedures and employee handbook contents.
- Engineer and implement laboratory automation solutions based upon requirements developed by the Laboratory Automation Group in consultation with internal stakeholders.
- Interface directly with team members and internal clients in Laboratory Operations, Assay Development and Information Technology to understand and refine requirements for automation solutions and to coordinate activities accordingly.
- Determine an appropriate level of testing, verification and/or validation for new automation platforms and methods, develop corresponding plans and summary reports commensurate with Quality Systems requirements.
- Develop strong business relationships with laboratory automation vendors to facilitate early access to new technologies and responsive technical support.
- Maintain calibration, preventative maintenance in collaboration with Laboratory Operations. Lead troubleshooting efforts at the discretion of management.
- Critically review new technology on an ongoing basis to understand suitability towards Q Squared Solutions business strategy.
- Function in a team environment, recognizing that priorities will shift according to business needs and maintain a flexible work schedule.
- Other duties, as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Working knowledge of GxP, CLIA and HIPAA requirements.
- Direct experience with one or more automated liquid handling platforms such as Hamilton, Tecan or Beckman, including programming/scripting fluency.
- Demonstrated familiarity with contemporary molecular genomic technologies.
- Excellent planning and organizational skills, and close attention to detail are essential.
- Capable of contributing to multiple projects simultaneously.
- Superior oral and written communications skills.
- Proficient user of standard office productivity software such as Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint, along with basic statistical analysis.
- Direct experience interfacing automation systems with laboratory software systems including LIMS is strongly preferred.
- Minimum Experience and Education Requirements:
- BS or greater in Engineering, Molecular Genetics or related field
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in automation, with significant experience in a laboratory setting.
- Experience in a clinical laboratory operating under GxP and/or CLIA guidelines and direct experience with clinical trials is preferred.