Overall Job Function: Five Below is currently seeking an experienced labor & employment attorney. This position will report to the VP, Legal & Corporate Secretary and be responsible for providing advice to Human Resources (HR) and company managers in all areas of employment law, policy, development and training with internal and external stakeholders. This position requires a great teammate who can work with minimal supervision in a dynamic environment. Occasional travel will be required.
Job Responsibilities including but not limited to:
- Provide advice and counsel on employment law issues including hiring, discipline, termination, pay and benefits. Review and provide mentorship on drafting and development of HR policies and procedures.
- Provide advice on handling employee relations matters, including employee counseling, discipline and benefits issues. Lead or provide guidance on internal investigations.
- Defend employment related claims, including leading outside counsel in litigation, responding to administrative claims from governmental agencies and settlement demands. Negotiate resolution of claims.
- Assist in developing, implementing, improving and reviewing legal compliance training. Prepare, direct and conduct training programs on employee relations matters; for example, employment law updates, discipline, investigative techniques and documentation preparation.
- Review and provide input on policies and procedures which are impacted by legislation such as FMLA, ADA, FLSA, OSHA, ERISA, state Worker’s Compensation and Employment discrimination laws.
- Negotiate, review, and prepare contractual arrangements with outside service providers, including administrative and programmatic consultants and vendors.
- Provide general legal counseling to internal business clients on various legal matters which may cover topics such as commercial law, intellectual property and product safety.
Financial Accountability: Closely monitor and manage legal budgets with the goal of minimizing outside counsel expenses.Minimum Candidate Qualifications:
- Juris Doctorate degree from an ABA accredited law school.
- Current member of a State bar in good standing.
- At least 5-8years of relevant employment law experience, both counseling and litigation. In-house and/or AMLAW 200 experience strongly preferred. In-house experience with a publicly traded company a plus.
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills with the ability to interact effectively with executives and employees at all levels within the organization.
- Excellent negotiating, drafting and problem solving skills.
- Willingness to be flexible and adaptive.
- Exhibit initiative and assertiveness including the ability to work with minimal supervision.
- Ability to operate and be an effective leader in a dynamic, fast-paced environment.
- Developed business insight, with ability to understand the company's business and anticipate the nature and magnitude of issues that could arise in various settings.
- Ability to simultaneously manage multiple projects, and meet deadlines with consistently high quality work product.
- Needs to be a business person as much as an attorney.