Opportunity for a Labor and Employment Attorney with hands-on experience handling employment cases including wrongful termination, discrimination and wage and hour matters. Experience handling employment mediations and/or trials. Solid law school and professional credentials are required. The role requires counseling of internal teams as well as management of outside counsel and the candidate must demonstrate well-thought out processes and judgment on a broad range of labor and employment and related compliance matters, as well the ability to conceive, implement and monitor processes, procedures and operational activities/issues from a legal perspective. It requires familiarity with commercial concepts and the business acumen and personal maturity to know when and how to map a solution and when to ask for guidance. The Labor and Employment Attorney must be a self-starter with a diligent work ethic.
This position is responsible for, but not limited to, the following:
- Ensure timely, cost effective delivery of quality legal advice and counsel to support internal clients on a broad range of labor and employment issues.
- Establish and maintain relationships with key internal stakeholders to ensure proactive legal involvement and solicitation of assistance.
- Participate in litigation matters and investigations as required.
- Advise management on legal matters in order to safeguard the organization against legal liability.
- Manage outside counsel when retained to (i) respond to high demand for legal services, (ii) address issues requiring special expertise and (iii) represent the Group’s interests in litigation.
- Includes evaluating and developing strategy with respect to complex issues and resolving disputes through negotiation or litigation while minimizing adverse publicity and monetary exposure, maximizing recovery and preserving on-going business relationships with customers, vendors and other third parties.
- Adapting to the requirements of the Group and its stakeholders, including responding to and addressing the needs and requirements of other team members.
- Support Business Units, Functions and Regions with legal advice and representation necessary to achieve business objectives and minimize labor and employment risk.
- Manage external legal counsel to ensure that the company’s interests are protected and costs minimized.
- Deliver improved policies, procedures or documents aligned to the objectives of the Group Legal strategic work plan, striving for best practices.
- Provide timely, accurate, cost effective and well-organized advice to business clients within the Group.
- Support Code of Conduct compliance functions, in terms of policy setting, training, enforcement, and internal investigations.
- Ability and willingness to engage with business clients and become an integral part of the business and commercial processes of the Company.
- Willingness and capacity to learn and expand personal portfolio and competencies.
- Integrate into team and provide support to other members as needed.
- JD degree from accredited law school; admission to state bar association(s), as required
- Minimum (5-10) years of broad-based legal experience in law firm or corporate law department
- Experience in Transportation and/or Logistics sectors preferred.
- Licensed to practice law in State of residence or admissible in Arizona based on in-house counsel admission rules
- Advanced analytical, problem solving, decision making and coping skills
- Strong understanding of corporate business needs, including finance and risk management
- Strong oral and written communication skills including the ability to articulate complicated issues in a manner that others can understand
- Outstanding interpersonal skills including the ability to interact effectively with global clients and customers
- Advanced negotiation and project management skills
- Global or regional work experience
- Native Level English: Reading, Writing, and Speaking
Additional Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Second Language Preferred, with a strong preference for Spanish
- MBA or other advanced degree
- Team player
- Proactive self-starter
- Teamwork - showing a commitment to teamwork and collaboration
- Respect - extending dignity and respect to all people
- Integrity - fostering trust and a positive work environment
- Innovation - bringing creativity to the workplace
- Customer Focus - achieving Company, department, and personal goals through a strong customer focus
- Domestic and International Travel Required
- Hybrid Remote - Willingness and capacity to relocate to Arizona, Oregon or Colorado