EYP is seeking a Lab Planner / Expert to be responsible for laboratory project planning efforts toward the successful completion of complex technology facilities providing overall programming and lab design planning. This individual will communicate with clients and other user groups to understand project requirements and represent the firm as a technical expert.
- Provides technical knowledge in the laboratory planning and programming of academic research or other technical facilities.
- Provides technical planning expertise and leadership for laboratory facilities in the areas of programming, design, fit-out planning, equipment planning, MEP systems integration planning and casework specification.
- Participates in meetings to collect program needs for laboratory specifications in technical facilities.
- Develops a comprehensive understanding of clients' program requirements and standards and policies for completion.
- Assists in the design development, modification and/or review of laboratory planning concepts and solutions.
- Assists in developing project scope, plan, and services and during the contract process. Translates planning concepts into comprehensible terms for clients, designers and project team members.
- Assists in establishing overall project budgets and milestone schedules in coordination with project managers, architect and project engineers.
- Communicates planning concepts to project teams, both verbally and through graphic and written reports.
- Develops architectural drawings to communicate planning concepts for project documentation and construction.
- Prepares and modifies architectural documents, elevations, sections, details, etc.
- Anticipates and develops solutions to technical and design problems following established standards.
- Applies appropriate quality assurance and quality control methods throughout project.
- Develops and maintains strong and collaborative relationships with existing and potential clients.
- Leverage design talent and other intellectual content to sign-up new work/projects
- Actively mentoring and developing the skills of EYP staff in lab planning
- Actively seeks new knowledge in the design and planning of laboratories.
- Speak or participate in professional conferences or otherevents related to area of lab planning
- Write articles to be published in professional journals or major trade publications
Bachelor's degree in Architecture is required; Master's degree is preferred.
Architecture license is required.
At least ten (10) years of progressive experience focused on programming and planning of all phases of a variety of technical projects.
- Demonstrated creativity, passion and interest in design and planning of laboratories within technical facilities.
- Knowledge of technical and regulatory requirements for laboratory design.
- Knowledge of laboratory programming delivery and how design impacts those systems -including space, operational, and equipment programming, as well as MEP systems and casework.
- Knowledge of laboratory planning, design, construction documents, construction administration and project construction cost control for lab facilities.
- Knowledge of sustainability, integrated design and LEED guidelines.
- Possess strong hand and advanced CAD drafting skills.
- Proficiency in AutoCAD/Architectural Desktop preferred.
- Proficiency in MS Office, including Word, Excel and Outlook.
- Proficiency in 3D Modeling software such as 3D Studio Max and Viz 2006 preferred.
- Proficiency in Photoshop, Illustrator, Sketchup, and lnDesign graphic software preferred.
- Proficiency in Revit preferred.
- Proficiency in NewForma preferred.
- Ability to communicate both verbally and in writing; ability to convey laboratory planning needs to designers and other team members.
- Ability to work in team environment.
- Ability to effectively meet deadlines