Vertex is hiring a Lab Instrumentation Manager to join our Facilities and Operations team. As a Manager, you are responsible for leading a comprehensive lab instrumentation inventory and maintenance program in a pharmaceutical research and development lab setting. You will be responsible for the overall instrumentation service strategy, instrumentation service budget, as well as the management of staff and contracted instrumentation engineers.
- Develop a comprehensive instrumentation service strategy and service level agreements in collaboration with scientific department representatives and system owners.
- Manage complete lab instrumentation budget inclusive of lab instrumentation service contracts, repairs and maintenance, and on-site instrumentation contractors.
- Analyze and negotiate lab instrumentation service contracts in collaboration with scientific departments and strategic sourcing.
- Maintain lab instrumentation inventorydatabase and service system; ensure accuracy, develop and report key analytics, communicate overall program status based on metrics.
- Develop lab asset databases collaboratively with IT and Research groups to build informative interfaces and dashboards.
- Guide staff Instrumentation Engineer and on-site Instrumentation contractors to ensure prioritization and efficiency in service operations.
- Manage preventative maintenance and certification schedules for instrumentation program.
- Schedule and coordinate vendor instrumentation service repairs.
- Updatepartners within the instrumentation service order system with service details and schedules.
- Drive continuous improvement of the instrumentation program. Be responsible for showing improvement on key instrumentation performance metrics.
- Work as team with scientific departments, EHS, Facilities, and Lab Services to ensure efficient and effective lab operations.
- Partner in the capital planning strategy and process by providing instrumentation service and utilization data to support key procurement decisions.
- Manage new instrumentation installation process from purchase approval through on-site operation.
- Manage instrument/asset decommissioning process.
- Run on-site parts inventory program.
- Coordinate lab equipment relocations within the laboratories.
- Assist in evaluating service costs estimates and budget tracking.
Technical & Communicative Skills:
- Communicate effectively across the organization to drive Instrumentation service program success
- Possess a collaborative nature and the ability to work in a matrix reporting structure with key partners.
- Familiarity and knowledge of a variety of lab equipment including; HPLC systems, liquid handling systems, lab automation, centrifuges, evaporation systems, chromatography equipment, mass spectrometers, NMR, plate readers, incubators, washers and dispensers, refrigerators, and freezers.
- Work with focus and attention to detail to ensure documentation of maintenance activities and record keeping is accurate and in accordance with Vertex requirements.
- Ability to assess issues with a high degree of critical thinking, good judgment, and able to adapt to changes in priorities or the work environment.
- Strong prioritization skills to handle multiple projects and timelines.
Preferred Education & Experience:
- 5 years of experience in biotech / pharmaceutical lab instrumentation managing an instrumentation program. Background as a technician, staff scientist, lab manager, or manufacturer trained technician is helpful
- Instrumentation project management experience
- Shown experience managing instrumentation engineering staff
- B.S. degree and/or extensive experiencepreferred.
Ability to lift or move up to 50 lbs., work in laboratory, office or outdoor settings, sit or stand for extended periods, and possess dexterity for work with manual and/or automated tools and equipment.