Industry: Professional, Scientific & Technical Services•
5 - 7 years
Posted 103 days ago
he Laboratory Director is responsible for maintaining positive operating margin at the
laboratory level and for meeting and exceeding the annual budget. Supervises all laboratory
personnel and provides leadership and direction as needed. Responsible for ensuring compliance and integration of facility operation with corporate and regulatory policies and procedures.
1. Manages the laboratory to provide positive operating margin and meet annual budgetary goals.
2. Builds and maintains positive customer relationships and sales growth through direct
interaction with customers and TestAmerica sales personnel.
3. Establishes and maintains an active and positive safety culture and ensures that the
Employee Health and Safety procedures are implemented and followed to maintain facility operations that are compliant with appropriate policies and regulations.
4. Reviews and approves Quality Assurance SOPs for the facility and ensures their
implementation so that the facility is operated in a compliant manner which allows it to produce
5. Prioritizes the activities of the operations groups to ensure key goals are achieved and customer service needs are addressed.
6. Provides periodic reports to General Manager to ensure that goals and objectives are being achieved and to recognize opportunities for development.
7. Works with Project Managers and Customer Service Managers to ensure the accurate forecast
of receipts, provide quality analytical data to clients and meet on- time delivery dates.
8. Leads Business Team activities to develop and implement sales strategies to ensure
budgetary goals are achieved. Ability to travel for business purposes is required.
9. Communicates facility-specific goals and objectives to employees. Communicates and
implements company initiatives designed to foster teamwork and communication.
10. Fulfills supervisory responsibilities with direct reports to achieve strong staff
performance. Mentors key employees.
11. Evaluates and maintains appropriate staffing levels to support operational needs and
12. Supports the Human Resources function to ensure that all policies and programs are applied
consistently throughout the laboratory.
13. Works with the IT Group to ensure that the facility has appropriate Information Technology resources and that they are being used effectively to support operational requirements.
14. Actively participates in the process of sharing and adopting best practices within
TestAmerica. Provides technical assistance to other TestAmerica laboratories as needed to improve productivity and customer service.
15. Approves of all laboratory purchases including capital spending approvals to support the business plan and maintain profitability.
Supervises multiple personnel of varying levels as outlined in the laboratory-specific
BS in Chemistry or a science-related field.
- 3 years supervisory experience 3 years management experience
- 5 years analytical experience or related technical field
• Familiarity with laboratory operations and services
• Familiarity with EPA, DOT, OSHA, and DOL regulations
• Excellent verbal and written skills
• Strong customer relations skills
• Ability to manage a business at a profit/loss responsibility level
• Ability to control operating budgets
• Ability to develop and enforce policies and operating practices
• Ability to prioritize and delegate responsibilities
• Ability to successfully handle contract and other negotiations
• Strong decision-making abilities
• Problem-solving abilities