The Networking Platform Solutions (NPS) organization is responsible for identifying, architecting, developing, and delivering solutions as an expanded set of network offers for the Global Field Organization (GFO) to sell to the market. Within this organization, the Technology Introduction (TI) team introduces Ciena network elements, software releases and solutions to the customer through lab/field demos and trials, training and related activities in a primarily pre-sales, technical systems engineering mandate.
We are looking for a Senior Engineer to join our Technology Introduction (TI) team focused on terrestrial (North America) and Submarine (globally) technology. As Senior Engineer, you will be working in a multi-disciplinary group enabling Ciena products and configurations through: trials/demos on customer networks, technical support of Sales Engineers, lab demos of new product features to customers, pre-sales engineering support, creation of application guidelines and consultation work for Ciena business opportunities. The team includes technical coverage at L0, L1, L2 and network management layers across multiple platforms.
In terrestrial applications, the team supports customer engagements of multiple platforms at many network layers, including L0, L1, L2 and network management. This includes trials, demos, certifications of Ethernet and packet services and technologies on Ciena/customer lab and field systems.
In submarine applications, the team is focussed on the evaluating the performance of Ciena’s Terminal Equipment and WaveLogic transponder technologies for transmission over new and existing cables worldwide. This includes maximizing capacity, confirming performance, interoperating with foreign systems, resolving unanticipated issues and demonstrating product features in support of customer bids. The Submarine team must leverage higher networks functions (>L0) enabling new value propositions in an industry historically focussed on competition at L0.
The mandate requires ongoing interaction with Product Line Management (PLM), Research & Development (R&D), Sales and Services/Deployment teams. The candidate must have an excellent overall understanding of networktechnology, be available for worldwide travel, capable of establishing confidence/rapport across cultural lines, capable of articulating product features and be an organized team player.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Prime pre- and post-sales customer engagements at L2 (packet/ethernet), L1 (OTN) and L0 (physical) across multiple product platforms
- Feedback customer observations and requirements to PLM (product evolution), R&D (product development) and Sales (commercial development)
- Support sales community with pre- and post-sales activities that include customer bids (RFI, RFP) technical support, solution design/evaluation for specific customer needs, market trials and miscellaneous Q&A support.
Terrestrial applications (L1/L2 focus):
- Trials, demos, certifications of the Ciena’s Packet Networking product family for assessing performance, scalability, security.
- Lead troubleshooting and resolution in coordination with appropriate Ciena teams
- Support upgrades, installations and reconfigurations of hardware/software elements
Submarine applications (L0+ focus):
- Trials/demos of transmission solutions optimized to customer priorities (e.g., max capacity, max operating margin, interoperability, minimum cost, etc.)
- Measurement, identification and documentation of transponder and SLTE performance and issues
- Customer presentations, trial/demo plans and application guides
Skills & Characteristics
- L1/L2 knowledge:
- Ciena Packet Networking portfolio (8700, 39xx, 51xx platforms)
- Experience in engineering, testing or deploying networks on Ethernet based platforms (Ciena, Nokia/Alcatel-Lucent, Cisco, Juniper, Huawei, Adva)
- Excellent understanding of Ethernet Services (E-Line, E-Lan and E-Tree).
- Experience provisioning Ethernet and related technologies (MPLS, 802.1ad, 802.1ag, 802.1ah, G.8032, QinQ, Synch E, MEF 2.0 services, RFC2544 etc.)
- Experience with IP and related routing protocols (OSPF, BGP and ISIS)
- Knowledge of various Customer Services and Ethernet and IP drivers and requirements (Mobile Backhaul, Ethernet Business Services, SDH replacement, etc.)
- Familiarity with other transport (L0), switching (L1), ethernet and packet networking (L2) technologies
- L0 knowledge:
- Modulation formats (OOK, QPSK, BPSK, 8D-2QAM, 16QAM)
- Optical link budgets (OSNR, CD)
- Transmission impairments (loss, SPM, XPM, FWM, XPolM, PDG, PDL)
- Test equipment (OSA, BERT, OTDR)
- Available for global travel (20-30% if office based; 30-40% if home based) and tolerance for volatile project schedules
- Self-motivating leader with ability to collaborate with internal and external teams throughout the world
- Strong planner and organizer
- Ability to execute experiments and meticulously document and communicate results in stressful environments
- Excellent verbal and written English communication and presentation skills. Additional languages a strong asset
Education / Experience
- Bachelor or Master’s degree in ElectricalEngineering, Computer Engineering, Computer Science or equivalent. Graduate-level engineeringdegree an asset
- 5-10 yrs. of experience in telecommunication industry
- Programming skills a very strong asset (Python, Ember.js, C/C++, MATLAB)
- Knowledge of Ciena products a strong asset
Tracking Code R006218