Viome is a wellness as a service company that uses advanced microbiology and artificial intelligence to understand your microbial and molecular functions. Our consumer tests and clinical studies measure your gene expression and the gene expression of the microorganisms living inside you. We use artificial intelligence to model these biomarkers, and with insights from modern medical science our AI recommends a nutrition and lifestyle plan personalized for you. We also develop biomarkers for a range of chronic diseases from cancer to metabolic, autoimmune, and neurological diseases.
Viome’s rich data sources are unmatched in their depth and ability to provide insights. Our small interdisciplinary team is passionate about transforming the health and wellness industry for the 21st century. We are looking for an experienced and independent Knowledge Engineer in our Seattle office. Joining Viome you will analyze our unique biological dataset, modeling our customers’ wellness outcomes and finding new healthcare insights. This role will give the right candidate an unparalleled opportunity to push the boundaries of microbiome and precision medicine research while helping people to proactively manage their health on an everyday basis.
Knowledge and Skill Requirements:
- One of the following:
- a. B.S in Computer Science with 5+ years of experience working on Knowledge Representation and Reasoning.
- b. M.S in Computer Science with 3+ years of experience working on Knowledge Representation and Reasoning.
- c. Ph.D in Computer Science focusing on Knowledge Representation and Reasoning
- Proficiency with knowledge representation including: Logical, Semantics, and/or Frames and Production Rules
- Proficiency with Logic Programming (e.g., RDFS and Ontology reasoners, Prolog, and/or Description Logic... algorithms and common inference engine for them)
- Proficiency in rule-based reasoners including forward/backward chaining engines, tabling, and hybrid rule engine.
- Proficiency in JAVA
- Experience working in relational databases such as PostgreSQL, and graph databases such as RDF triplestore, and their corresponding query languages such as SQL and SPARQL.
- Demonstrable research skills with a wide range of KRR techniques and methodologies
- Improve and extend current and future reasoning modules, knowledge repositories, and pipelines based on advanced rules and algorithms.
- Improve and extend current and future methods to track and expand the scope and quality of the knowledge base and reasoning engines at Viome.
- Work closely with our Lab, Clinical, and Translational Science teams on research, evaluation, and implementation of new concepts and ideas based on knowledge representation.
- Drive and implement, in conjunction with the product engineering team, best practices to release code on an AWS platform, as well as services and data to other consumers within the company.
- Ability to build prototypes and systems with knowledge of all steps within the design process: conception, planning, initiation, and implementation
- Ability to deliver prototype implementations
- Ability to deliver production ready systems
- Ability to identify complex problems and review related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solution
- Self-motivated and able to work independently as well as being a team player
- Strong communication skills and the ability to create professional presentations and presents to peers and management.
- Effective written and verbal communication skills adapted to the intended audience.
Preferred Knowledge and Skills:
- Experience with JENA is a strong plus.
- Experience with cloud technology (AWS preferred) and design solutions that leverage its unique advantages
- Familiarity with Natural Language Processing systems, Conversational AI and Machine Learning techniques
- Proficient in test driven development (TDD) and continuous deployment practices
Viome's Benefits include ...
- Health insurance
- Dental insurance
- Vision insurance
- Paid time off
- Parental leave
- Employee Assistance Program
- LTD & STD
- Waiting time may apply to benefits