Summary of Position:
Lead the Adult and Feminine Care R&E team to partner with the Material and Process Development teams, and the Global AFC teams, to design, develop, and transform AFC products into an advantaged pipeline of innovation for each key AFC Brand (U by Kotex®, Poise®, Depend®). This team is responsible for partnering with Marketing Research, Marketing, and Sales to develop products that deliver against the ideal consumer experience and then leading the R&E team to deliver innovation to market.
This position is responsible for development beginning with fundamental consumer learning through commercialization and optimization working with Product Supply. Significant collaboration is required with PC Materials Development, PC Process Development, BCC Product Development, and External partners. The role needs to deliver a product development plan from current to the 5+ year horizon to provide advantages functionality, appropriate claims and cost.
Organization: People Responsibilities/reporting line/partnerships
The incumbent reports to the L4 Personal Care R&E leader.
- Direct reports include: Sr. R&E Managers and Technical Leaders
- Collaborates with: Regional and Global Adult & Feminine Care Leadership, Strategic Development and MRA, Marketing, Product Supply, Corporate R&E, Global Nonwovens, R&E Leaders, Project Management Teams, Procurement, External Suppliers, Human Resources, Legal, Regulatory, Product Safety, and KC Senior Leadership.
- Is a key leader in the business and the R&E function to drive increased empowerment and enablement of teams to deliver improved business results
• Lead R&E resources to understand consumer fundamentals and develop a pipeline of preferred consumer experiences, claims and/or advantaged cost for AFC products.
• Deploy R&E resources to deliver 0-5+ year pipeline and commercialize and optimizing products while working with Product Supply.
• Collaborate with AFC regional and global Business Teams to align on an overall product development strategy.
• Partner with NA AFC and the broader PC R&E teams to make sure that the pipeline is relevant based on what they are seeing from competition and in the market
• Integrate benefit and cost innovation to create holistic consumer designs
• Ensure the appropriate and effective global protection for proprietary information
• Create and implement system to network with other regional innovation centers to utilize this capability to enable innovation development and consumer evaluation.
• Coach and mentor the R&E organization to increase capability and mastery in front end innovation
• Ensure all work complies with corporate safety, regulatory, product safety and sustainability requirements. Interface effectively with the other work stream teams, Product Supply, Procurement, Global Nonwovens, External Suppliers and Marketing, as well as the strategy development team to ensure effective and efficient creation and execution of projects to enable business plans
• Bachelor’s Degree in science or engineering,
• Generally 15+ years of experience in increasingly broader technical or operational roles with demonstrated track record of achievement and growth in leadership.
• Previous successful high level R&D management experience, Extensive managerial experience in a research or other technical function with demonstrated results and strength in leadership
• Experience working in and knowledge of personal care products
• Demonstrated team leadership skills
• Organization development
• Excellent communication/relationship builder
• Strong skills and experience with diagnosing and resolving complex problems and opportunities within technical projects
• Able to make decisions with limited information to keep performance on track
• Able to manage with ambiguity and autonomy
• Demonstrated positive energy to promote employee engagement and drive results
• Strong and demonstrated capabilities to provide strategic plans and thought leadership for the sector and function.