San Diego, CA
5 - 7 years
Posted 177 days ago
Reporting to the Manager of Advanced Services, Americas, Strategic Verticals, this is a highly technical role, providing post-sales on-site support of Junipers Network Products. The Advanced Services Contract Resident Engineer will be required to develop and maintain an expertise on the products deployed within the Customers network.
This is a 40 hour per week position, on-site, at the customer location and may require additional work hours and on-call support for critical issues which will be compensated for with Comp time.
. To hold network information gathering workshops with the Customer to understand the Customer?s existing network design and technical requirements of new network designs.
. To understand the Customer?s organizational structure and become familiar with the Customer?s network implementation and support processes and procedures to help in supporting a network that is available and sustainable.
. To carry out testing of new Designs, features, and functionality as required by the Customer in a laboratory environment and to help develop plans to implement and verify that they are operating correctly in the live network
. To test patches and fixes to operating software and to ensure that they are implemented and functioning correctly in the pre-production test network and then live network as implementation plans dictate.
. To troubleshoot equipment and network problems and to open and track JTAC cases through to problem resolution on pre and post production issues.
. To raise equipment Return Material Authorizations (RMA?s) and to track these through to problem resolution
. To produce a written summary report of the status of Design projects, equipment and network problems on a regular basis to the Customer
. To hold technology workshops with the Customer to discuss equipment and network problems, and to provide case status updates, including the reasons for any problems encountered and the workarounds and/or solutions that are being tried
. To train the Customer?s design, implementation and support personnel to configure and operate the Juniper Networks products
. To assist the Customer to develop Network Operating and Equipment Operating Procedures
. Support production environment of Juniper products within the Customer infrastructure
. Support ongoing efforts in defining best practice policies for Juniper product applications used by Customer
. The Resident Engineer is expected to peer with other employees performing similar resident engineering roles where lessons learned may help minimize risk associated with major network upgrades or changes in the network.
The RE will be expected to develop secondary skills in other products in the Juniper product portfolio.
Candidates for this role MUST have a minimum 10 years experience providing implementation and technical support of networking products in LAN, WAN, or Internet services environments.
Candidates for this role MUST be able to demonstrate the following competencies:
. Strong Interpersonal skills, Ability to work well with many levels of customer engineering and management, ability to work well with the juniper account team and Technical assistance center.
. Detailed technical experience in the installation and operation of IP Routers, Switches and Firewalls. This includes hands-on operation of management tools and network analyzers.
. Detailed understanding of the protocols surrounding IP networks. These skills should generally include: a. TCP/IP fundamentals, b. IP subnetting and supernetting and hierarchical routing principles, c. Routing protocol operation (OSPF, ISIS and BGP), d. Routing policies at BGP peering points, e. VPNs and the associated tunneling technologies (L2TP, MPLS, etc.) f. Multicast. Switching, spanning tree, MC-LAG and other switching technology as required, Firewalls and associated technologies as required
. The ability to function in a team environment and recognize and take on tasks with self-direction as well as the ability to take direction from the customer, account team, and Advanced Services Management.
. The ability to communicate well within the Juniper team articulating customer problems before they become issues being proactive where possible.
. Hands-on configuration and operational knowledge of Juniper Networks router and firewall and switching products, passion to continue learning and expanding your knowledge.
. Experience with design lifecycle processes including requirements analysis, design, planning, and implementation.
. Experience with training team members and creating deployment and standard operating procedures accounting for best practices.
Description of the network environment and name of the products that will be supported:
1. Large transport network utilizing OSPF/ISIS, BGP, MPLS, RSVP/LDP. This physical network covers most of the geography of southern California. They have approximately 300 L3 hop locations connected via a combination of Ethernet over Fiber, some copper, some microwave and a relatively small amount of traditional TDM. The network is 98% Juniper, consisting of MX960s/MX480 (2 WAN and 2 CORE routers in each Datacenter) MX240s, SRX240s in packet mode, MX104s, ACXs, LN2600s. There is a smattering of CTP utilized to provide Circuit Emulation over the IP network.
2. MPLS with both LDP and (transitioning to) RSVP is utilized everywhere. Both L2 and L3 tunneling are employed. VRFs are used at endpoints to segment traffic for transport across the converged network. QOS is heavily employed to protect critical services during unexpected network load events.
3. OSPF is the IGP used (although attempts are being made to move to ISIS but route leaking in the network is slowing that effort). OSPF to ISIS migration will be completed over the next couple of months so that Northstar can be implemented. BGP is utilized to provide the MPLS signaling services (VPLS, etc) as well as for standard external route advertisement with peers.
4. It has an ongoing project to migrate configuration and management of the network to Junos Space. The Space applications they use are Service Now, Service Insight, Network Director and Services Activation Director.
5. Network edge security is provided by SRX5800, SRX3600 and a smattering of smaller devices. They also use SRXs to provide access control to the data center, as well as some critical operations areas (NERC CIP). (Note this is separate from the Information Security Team at Sempra which uses primarily Palo Alto).
6. It has two primary data centers, each employing Q-Fabric for core switching. This is a G system, utilizing QFX3500s and QFX5100 at the top of rack. Fiber Channel over Ethernet (FCOE) is transported across the fabric as well but only in MPK datacenter. RB datacenter is using ISCSI as the transport. Migration plan is in effect to move to QFX10k with NSX acting as the overlay design in both datacenters
7. It?s LAN switching vendor is officially Brocade, however they have a large amount of EX switching infrastructure, utilizing EX3300s, 4200s, 4300s, 8200s, and 9200s, as well as the QFX line 3500s, 3600s, and 5100s.
8. Currently It is heavily focusing their efforts in moving their backup datacenter located in Monterey Park, CA to Las Vegas, NV. That involves a lot of technological changes. Juniper PS is involved in this project to move from QFabric to QFX10k to work in conjunction with VMware NSX using MC-LAG technology between leaf and spines. DC infrastructure will be running on Nutanix and the design and implementation is on going with support from HCL America. The 2 datacenters (RB and LV) WAN will be connected via a 100G link.
Description of the Ideal candidate's strengths and experiences:
1) Expert level relationship management, communications skills and interpersonal skills to manage face to face communications on a daily basis with multiple levels of customer management and engineering staff across multiple departments within the host company in a responsible and professional fashion.
2) Customer Culture is casual professional with a reporting hierarchy.
3) Expert level troubleshooting methodology to isolate and identify configuration, design, and software anomalies; ability to clearly articulate findings in written and verbal communications with development level engineering staff.
4) Ability to apply knowledge to real world scenarios.
5) Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects and work calmly under pressure.
6) Self starter, team player, personable, enthusiastic, hard working, and enjoy interfacing with customers on a day to day basis.
7) It would be a plus to have hands-on configuration and operational knowledge of other Vendor products and their operation.
The ideal candidate for this role will be able to demonstrate the following competencies:
5+ years experience in managing large technical account activity revolving around network products from multiple vendors.
. JNCIA, JNCIS, JNCIP, JNCIE, CCNP, CCIE a strong plus
The ideal candidate will have prior experience with scripting or programming languages including Python, SLAX, and NETCONF, and experience with automation frameworks such as Puppet, Chef, Ansible, or others.
The ideal candidate will have prior experience with service provider networks, including optical, TDM, and MPLS transport.
. Unique working environment where you communicate and work directly with the Customer
. Usage of the latest technologies and tools
. Good working conditions
. Friendly atmosphere
. High salary