Your responsibilities & requirements
We’re looking for a Junior lawyer to join our North American legal team in Markham.
Working for Signify means being creative and adaptive while working in a fast-paced company. Our culture of continuous learning and commitment to diversity and inclusion creates an environment that allows you to build your skills and career while transforming our industry.
As the world leader in lighting, we’re constantly ahead of the curve. Through our leadership in connected lighting and the Internet of Things, we’re breaking new grounds in data analytics, AI, and smart homes, offices, cities and more!
Signify is one of the few companies in the world to achieve carbon neutrality and our next sustainability goals are even bolder: doubling our positive impact on the environment and society by 2025.
This position within the Signify North America legal function provides a broad range of legal support to the Canadian based Lighting business of Signify. The Signify business in North America exceeds $3.5 billion in sales and includes all aspects of lighting including lamps, luminaires, connected lighting systems, lighting components and controls.
We’re on the lookout for forward-thinking innovators with a passion for sustainability. If you match this description, get in touch!
What you’ll do
- Complex, commercial contract review, drafting and negotiation, including distribution and sales representative agreements, product supply and service agreements, SaaS agreements, vendor and supply contracts, strategic collaboration agreements, turnkey lighting/construction service agreements, and purchasing agreements.
- Provide informed legal counseling, commercial contracting advice on issues relating to our sales and marketing activities, customer agreements, private, government tenders, and distribution channels (distributors, agents, and retailers, etc.).
- Advising and counseling business clients on a range of compliance and regulatory issues, including privacy, public procurement laws, domestic preference sourcing requirements, antitrust and competition issues.
- Review of marketing / advertising materials.
- Assist with claims/litigation management, including manage outside counsel, directing the scope of activities and establishing and adherence to budget with the goal of cost efficient delivery of prompt, high quality service.
- Providing compliance, legal and ethics training to business clients.
- Perform such other non-Lighting projects that may be required as part of the Signify Legal Function.
- Law Degree from accredited law school and be admitted to practice law by a Provincial regulatory authority.
- 3-5 years of experience in a law firm or corporate legal organization.
- Demonstrated experience negotiating and drafting various types of complex, commercial agreements such as master purchase agreements, distributor/agency agreements and reseller agreements.
- Ability to recognize legal and ethical risks and communicate effectively regarding same with business partners.
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple projects and work independently with colleagues in multiple locations (Canadian and US) expected.
- Ability to work effectively in cross-functional teams expected.
- Ability to resolve legal issues in a manner that allows the business to move forward on the basis of informed and reasonable or controlled risk taking expected.
- Demonstrated maturity, communications skills, influencing skills, judgment and functional expertise when solving legal issues and dealing with both internal and external clients.
- Ability to be a “team player” with Function colleagues and business partners.
- Feel comfortable working in an environment that requires the handling of sensitive situations tactfully yet firmly, to be assertive without being adversarial and to make what may be perceived as unpopular decisions when necessary while maintaining trust and credibility.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills in all interactions with senior management, corporate functions and all levels of personnel.
- Developed business acumen, with the ability to understand the Lighting Sector’s business and anticipate the nature and magnitude of issues that could arise in various situations.
- Superior analytical and problem-solving skills expected.
- Act with the highest integrity and professionalism