As a Java Engineer, you are expected to be able to function in a fast-paced environment driving innovation through rapid prototyping and iterative development ensuring quality is built into all solutions leveraging TDD. Your responsibilities will require you to be an expert in API development. You will lead teams of developers guiding on engineering and architecture best practices as well as demonstrate the ability to influence and engage with other engineers and architects. You will work closely with business clients and UI designers to analyze user requirements, design and code applications and customize and/or integrate commercial software packages for both internal employees and external member-facing applications across multiple platforms.
- Leads and influences technical direction for large scale, highly complex technical initiatives and/or projects requiring integration of cross-functional systems.
- Provides technical guidance in evaluating applications systems or evaluating requests for proposals.
- Collaborates with the business to prioritize key business/technical initiatives.
- Utilizes expert knowledge of the customers business to recommend solutions, and ensures business and technology objectives are met and maintained.
- Understands user and process requirements and ensures those requirements can be achieved through high quality deliverables.
- Creates system documentation/play book(s) and serves as a lead technical reviewer and contributor in requirements, design and code reviews.
- Typically serves as a resource to the business and/or as a technical resource to cross-functional third party and internal team members on highly complex design/code reviews.
- May troubleshoot complex problems and recommend solutions or practices relative to root cause analyses and identification of solutions for improving system performance and availability.
- On behalf of the manager; manages the consistent delegation of work packages to cross-functional and third party team members for execution through the full development life cycle.
- Appropriately advises management of issues.
- Assists team leads and management with delegation of technical work packages to crossfunctional and third party team members for execution through the full development life cycle.
- Keeps management appropriately informed of progress and issues.
- Performs design and analysis, coding and unit/integration testing of highly complex system functionality and/or defect correction across multiple platforms.
- Displays advanced knowledge and understanding of functional and technical domains of specific products and appropriately evaluates the impact of changes or additions.
- Develops accurate estimates on work packages.
- Analyzes and designs specifications for less experienced internal and third party team members to execute.
- Actively mentors and contributes to the technical and soft-skills development of internal and third party teams.
- Actively participates in cross-departmental staffing and/or technical decisions.
- Typically anticipates opportunities and proactively and consistently champions innovative solutions cross-functionally and across the Enterprise.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Math) majors or 4 additional years of related experience beyond the minimum required may be substituted in lieu of a degree.
- AND, 8+ years of software engineering/development experience utilizing Java with at least 4 years' experience working with Web Services REST or SOAP
- Experience leading development teams
- 6+ years in REST frameworks with focus on API development
- 4+ years in AGILE methodology (Scrum, Lean, SaFe, etc.)
- 4+ years’ experience integrating with backend services like JMS, J2C, ORM frameworks (Hibernate, JPA, JDO, etc), JDBC.
- Ability to design and implement container based APIs using container frameworks like OpenShift, Docker, or Kubernetes.
- Relational Database design and optimization with Oracle DB2, MySQL, or Postgress
- Understanding of microservices architecture design and implementation
- Working experience with Gradle, GIT, GitHUB, GITLab, etc. around continuous integration and continuous delivery infrastructure
- Cloud infrastructure application development with vendors like AWS, Google or Microsoft.
- Experience testing in REST services
- Experience in design and develop automated tests and frameworks
USAA Java Software Engineers create innovative solutions that impact our members. Collectively, we are:
- Curious and excited by new ideas
- Energized by a fast-paced environment
- Able to understand and translate business needs into leading-edge technology
- Comfortable working as part of a connected team, but self-motivated
- Community-focused, dependable and committed
- Exceptionally detail-oriented
Job Number: R0021916