In addition to building applications that can hold up to the scale & growth of our business, our team of engineers work directly with the business leaders in defining the product roadmap and coming up with innovative solutions to grow the business. We believe in software craftsmanship and that there is real value in developing software so that it can be easily understood, maintained, and extended. At Priceline we are all about team work, accountability, innovation, and a customer-first approach. We work hard, but do so in a collaborative, fun and flexible work environment.
As a member of the team, you will have the opportunity to work on mission critical projects with direct impact on the evolution of Priceline's business. You will be able to apply your programming skills towards building low latency and high throughput transactional services. You will work on systems that serve hundreds of millions of searches a day, generate billions of events, and are monitored 24x7 using early warning and analytics systems build using the best of the big data technologies, including Cassandra, Kafka, Spark, Hadoop and Splunk. Our search systems perform highly concurrent, real-time searches across thousands of partners and collects and parses data from a diverse set of interfaces to get the best deals for our customers. We constantly explore new technologies and engineer better solutions for ever demanding business needs.
We are hiring at all levels, so whether you are a master craftsman or less experienced, if you have the skills or potential we seek, let us know.
- Java: You will need to have strong object-oriented design and development skills and advanced knowledge of core Java or similar programming languages. Knowledge and experience with third party libraries, frameworks, and technologies is a plus.
- Database: You will need to have strong SQL composition skills. Knowledge of big data and NoSql databases is a plus! We not only write software that collects and queries data, but we also compose queries for investigation and analysis. We collect a lot of data in real time from our applications and being able to compose ad hoc queries is necessary to develop and support our products.
- Analysis & Problem Solving: You will need to understand our codebase and systems and the business requirements they implement so you can effectively make changes to our applications and investigate issues.
- Communication: Whether via face-to-face discussion, phone, email, chat, white-boarding, or other collaboration platforms, you must be an effective communicator who can inform, explain, enable, teach, persuade, coordinate, etc.
- Team Collaboration: You must be able to effectively collaborate and share ownership of your team's codebase and applications. You must be willing to fully engage in team efforts, speak up for what you think are the best solutions, and be able to converse respectfully and compromise when necessary.
- Knowledge and Experience: A well-rounded software engineer will have broad and/or deep knowledge of various topics, tools, frameworks, and methodologies related to software engineering. None are required, but the more you can bring, the better. Here are some examples:
- Webservices and API development
- Startup and e-commerceexperience
- Spring frameworks
- Git and Gitflow
- Big Data solutions such as Cassandra, Hadoop, Spark, Kafka, Elastic Search and Solr
- Hands-on with high capacity and low latency systems
- Continuous integration and automated testing
- Open source projects
- A 4-yeardegree in Computer Science (or related field). Graduate degree helpful.
- At least 1 year of work experience in Software Engineering and development.
priceline.com is part of The Priceline Group, now the 3rd largest e-commerce company in the world by market cap. As a company, our mission is simple: To help people experience the world. Priceline.com does this by offering the best and deepest travel discounts available on the market today.