Technology drives our business. Our team is made up of talented software engineers, infrastructure engineers, leaders and UX professionals. We care about technology as a craft and a differentiator. We bring our global products to market with a mix of software, cloud, data centers, infrastructure, design and grit.
Our Product Groups:
Individual Investor – building products like Morningstar.com and mobile apps for individuals like yourself
Institutional Investor – developing some of our flagship products like Morningstar Direct for institutional investors and our Advisor products for financial advisors
Workplace – this is where we build and provide our hosted digital advice platform for Retirement plans, 401K’s, etc. (what some call robo-advisors)
Data – this is the heart of Morningstar where all data is sourced, collected, transformed, calculated and distributed across the world
At Morningstar, helping investors is what brings us together and drives our work. We are looking for software engineers who specialize in Java and the JVM platform to join our team, grow with us, introduce us to new ideas and develop products that empower our users. Every day, you’ll work with team members across disciplines developing products for investors. You’ll interact daily with our product managers to understand our domain and create technical solutions that push us forward. We want to work with other engineers who bring knowledge and excitement about our opportunities. These positions are based in our Chicago office.
- Build well designed, well engineered, stable, scalable products across a variety of markets
- Good working experience in OO analysis & design using common design patterns
- Follow software design best practices such as continuous integration, test-driven development, and regular deployments.
- Solve investors’ problems with technology, understanding market chaos at work and crafting technically appropriate interactive experiences to communicate effectively with individual investors.
- Be passionate about quality, process, programming, and investing in general, seeing opportunities for improvement, seizing them, and then sharing your findings with others.
- Familiarity or desire to become an AWS certified developer
- Take ownership of the success of the team with a "gets things done" attitude; the ability to understand and leverage new technologies, potentially wearing many hats including business analyst, DBA, QA, and project manager.
- Help to shape product vision.
- A bachelor's degree in computer science or a related field.
- Three plus years of experience developing commercial quality web applications.
- Solid experience with Java and the JVM ecosystem. Some areas that our Java engineers work in: Java 8, Scala, SBT, Groovy, Maven, Play, Spring Boot, Spring, Tomcat, AWS Elastic Beanstalk, AWS Lambdas
- Exposure and/or experience with supporting technologies: Messaging (e.g. Rabbit MQ, AWS SQS), Databases (SQL Server, AWS Aurora, MySQL, Postgress), Python, REST API’s
- Experience with Java, Linux, and Tomcat, as well as experience with full-stack web development.
- An understanding of how to protect web applications from common security vulnerabilities.
- Knowledge of object-oriented design, domain modeling, and building highly scalable and available systems.
- Be organized and able to remain productive even when you have multiple deliverables.
Morningstar is an equal opportunity employer.