Sammons Financial Group Companies offers some of today’s most sought after life insurance, annuity, and retirement planning products. Unlike most financial organizations, our companies are not publicly traded, which means we’re focused on long-term value rather than short-term earnings pressures. As a privately held company, our leaders and employees remain consistently focused on long-term growth, making decisions that allow us to deliver on our commitments to customers, distribution partners, our employees, and our communities. Individually, our companies provide value in the products and services they offer. Together we represent a history of strength and longevity.
What you can expect when you join Sammons Financial Group:
- A casual dress code including jeans
- A rich company culture driven by private ownership and intentional leadership inspiring employees to engage in our healthy, high-performing and values based culture
- Healthy balance between work and personal lives. Friday afternoons off all year long, competitive PTO and generous number of paid holidays
- Great benefits including medical, dental, vision, wellness plan, charitable giving programs, education assistance… to name a few
- ESOP-A generous 100% company funded retirement plan
- Under general direction, formulates and defines system scope and objectives. Devises or modifies procedures to solve highly complex problems considering computer equipment capacity and limitations, operating time and form of desired results. Prepares detailed specifications to write programs. Designs, codes, tests, debugs, documents and maintains those programs. Competent to work on and responsible for nearly all phases of applications systems analysis and programming projects. Regularly provides guidance and training to less experienced analysts/programmers.
- Collaborate with analysts, designers, and programmers in conceptualizing and development of new software programs and applications.
- Perform technical tasks, detailed analyses, and interpretation of technical problems requiring expertise and/or specialized knowledge in a systematic manner; apply subject matter expertise unique to the discipline.
- Exhibit expert understanding of the organization?s Systems Development Life Cycle.
- Play a leading role in the definition, development, and documentation of software?s requirements, objectives, deliverables, and specifications on a project-by-project basis in collaboration with internal users and departments.
- Play a leading role in defining software development project plans, including scoping, scheduling, and implementation.
- Prepare and/or interpret business, functional, and non-functional requirements; create and maintain user-oriented applications and design specifications.
- Develop, test, document and implement applications according to standards and methodologies.
- Design, implement and maintain databases. Follow database standards and integrity controls, analyze information requirements, and develop database specifications.
- Plan, coordinate, and implement security measures to safeguard information resources against accidental or unauthorized modification, destruction, or disclosure.
- Design, run and monitor software functional and performance tests on new and existing programs for the purposes of correcting errors, isolating areas for improvement, and general debugging; administer critical analysis of test results and deliver solutions to problem areas.
- Recommend, schedule, and perform software improvements and upgrades.
- Must be on call during scheduled times and may be required to work for extended periods at night and on weekends in support of conversion, assisting in operational problems, or testing a new program.
- Maintain currency of professional, technical and business skills.
- Utilize established status report, time accounting and collaborative process to provide data for management.
- Exhibit expert understanding of application, data, and integration, plus deep understanding of security, operational, and systems management architectural and design domains.
- Meet with decision makers, systems owners, and end users to define business requirements and systems goals, and identify and resolve business systems issues.
- Ensure compatibility and interoperability of in-house computing systems.
- Review and analyze the effectiveness and efficiency of existing systems and develop strategies for improving or further leveraging these systems.
- Create and describe system design and models utilizing commonly used industry mechanisms like E-R Diagrams, UML models, flow charts, etc.
- Perform cost-benefit and return on investment analysis for proposed systems to aid management in making implementation decisions.
- Direct research on emerging application development software products, languages, and standards in support of procurement and development efforts.
- Liaise with company?s software and hardware suppliers for prompt rectification of any problems or emergencies.
- Take an active role in cross-departmental projects when needed.
- Cultivate and disseminate knowledge of application development best practices; Train, mentor, and provide guidance to junior software development staff.
- Oversee the quality assurance of program logic, data processing, and error resolution.
- Commitment to embrace Sammons Financial shared values (Respect, Accountability, Integrity, and Openness)
- As stated within the Company Attendance and Punctuality policy, regular attendance is required and expected in order to meet the business service levels and workflow demands.
- College Degree in the field of computer science, information science, management information systems preferred
- Minimum 8 years' IT development experience or equivalent preferred
- Working experience as a member of an AGILE team delivering product features is a plus.
- Proficient in Object Oriented analysis, design and programming.
- Database experience SQL, views, stored procedures, indexes.
- Source code management/repository (eg SVN, GIT, TFS, Bit Bucket, etc.)
- Working knowledge of Java IDE (Netbeans, Eclipse IDE), Jenkins, Maven
- Proficiency developing solutions using modern technologies, e.g. Familiar with Design Concepts/Patterns, UML notation, ETL and application interface methods.
- Effective verbal and written communications skills and the ability to communicate with business partners and other IT staff
- Problem solving skills sufficient to perform research and recommend a proposed solution to problems
- Able to work on multiple tasks and meet established deadlines
- Able to effectively direct and coordinate the work of other team members on a project without having HR management responsibility for them
- Knowledge of computer programming languages as required for the system
- Criminal background check required.