The ideal candidate for a Technology Delivery Lead at Unum is someone who has experience in this technical discipline as an engineer or analyst and seeks to be a strong coach/player in this entry level management role.
The Products team ensures business value is realized through the delivery of market leading products and services in close collaboration with the business segments to enable the Unum US growth strategy.
Technical implementation scope spans across the value chain (Quote through Claims capabilities) and includes a broad suite of systems and technologies that requires cross business coordination, in efforts to ensure successful market introduction of new products.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Achieving the software/solutions/services delivery commitments of the team
- Maximizing the effectiveness of the team and takes actions to increase performance and effectiveness of the team. Which includes developing, mentoring and coaching team members. The role promotes and facilitates the professional development of team members and ensures plans are in place to elevate the performance of the team.
- May serve in a Scrum Master role for an agile team
- For Agile teams, works with business partners and team to translate the business strategy or roadmap into backlog items
- Responsible for ensuring that the agile team(s) apply best of breed software engineering practices including but not limited to – Test Driven Development, Peer Reviews, Continuous Integration and Continuous Deployment practices, unit and regression test automation, comprehensive approach to addressing NFR, adherence to standards, comprehensive Definition of Done, team retrospectives, etc.
- Using Agile metrics and tools to understand team performance and efficiency and takes actions to improve the efficiency of the team.
- Maintains up-to-date knowledge of a broad range of emerging technology trends and identifies opportunities where technology might be deployed to deliver business improvements and competitive advantage.
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science or relevant technical experience.
- 5+ years’ technical experience in an IT field or equivalent relevant work experience
- Experience leading IT Teams of 6+ professionals (direct and/or indirect reports)
- Understanding of Agile/Lean leadership principles; proficient in agile team development as well as awareness of team training opportunities.
- Ability to effectively coach, mentor, and identify and address skills needs and gaps
- Ability to think critically and challenge conventional thinking
Based on the focus of these agile delivery teams, knowledge and experience with one or more of the following technologies is preferred:
- COBOL, DB2, VSA, SQL
- Implementation of Force.com or any other cloud technologies
- Integration/Middleware solutions
- IT project managements skills and knowledge of relevant tools such as Clarity, Service-now
- Quote and Proposal system (IRP, FES)
- Underwriting tools/system (Merlin)