Selective Insurance is looking for a highly motivated Team Lead to provide business solutions and support for our Web based Commercial Line applications in our Glastonbury CT or Branchville NJ location. This individual will be a key contributor to the design, development and implementation of critical projects within Selective’s commercial lines policy admin system. As a member of the CL Application Delivery Team, this individual will work in both a technical and leadership function. This individual will analyze, plan, develop, test, and document solutions and provide support as required for mid to large size maintenance, enhancement, and modernization projects for our critical commercial lines applications. The candidate will have client/server software application development experience with Web based systems and analytical and problem solving skills. Must be able to perform efficient and effective analysis and manages systems and programming projects, which includes both project and developer level activities. This position will lead multiple concurrent projects with team sizes of 2-7 developers.
- Create and utilize best practices for developing and designing within a large scale, homegrown solution that is outward facing to our respective customers.
- Collaborate and manage with Application Managers, Project Managers, Developers and peers to accomplish a coordinated implementation effort.
- Work closely with application and enterprise architects on application design, CI/CD pipelines and implementing best practices, procedures and standards.
- Meet with business unit representatives and stakeholders to define and evaluate moderately complex business automation needs. Work with a Systems Analyst to interpret business specifications to prepare for analysis/design functions.
- Execute the development, design and analysis of systems and/or programs and system implementation schedules.
- Assists users in prioritizing new development projects, enhancement projects for existing systems, and system maintenance requests
- Supervises developers and assigns project staff. Estimates staff resource needs for developers, user personnel, consultants, and equipment. Plans team member work assignments and schedules, and guides and monitors work performance.
- Supervises and guides the detailed design and development activities for entire applications.
- Design, develop, program and implement systems to specifications, and develop/coordinate project plans
- Conducts and coordinates design, code, and test plan reviews.
- Conducts documentation audits and reviews and assures it is complete, acceptable, and in accordance with standards.
College degree in Computer Science, Management Information Science, Business Administration or related field preferred. A minimum of 7 years’ experience in software application development and maintenance required along with strong database skills.
- Detail-oriented and highly motivated
- Excellent time management skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to effectively collaborate with people in other departments and/or outside of the enterprise in person, via phone, or via email
- Excellent problem solving skills
- Passion for designing and developing leading edge solutions
- Ability to think ahead and anticipate problems/issues and have the capability to create solutions
- Ability to work effectively under pressure and meet deadlines
- Considerable experience developing/supporting enterprise web applications including a deep understanding of ASP.net lifecycles, SOA, RDBMS and IIS
- Strong development skills including C# and/or VB.net, MVC, client frameworks (JQuery, Knockout, etc.), SQL Server and/or Oracle, web services (WCF, JSON, REST, Web API)
- College degree in Computer Science, Management Information Science, Business Administration or related field preferred
- Five to seven years of programmer/analyst experience.
- Experience leading a team of developers, including offshore resources preferred
- Execute systems test plans to ensure fail safe integration of a project into a production environment
- Keep abreast of technology and innovation in all relevant areas
- Strong foundation in System Development Lifecycle principles
- Property Casualty insurance experiencepreferred, but not required
- Experience working with distributed teams
- Experience in agile or lean methodologies, specifically variants of Scrum
- Experience with Visual Studio Team Services (VSTS), Jira or otheragileproject management tool
- Previous Lead Developer, Analyst, Architect experience
- IIB, MQ or other ESB experience
- Knowledge in Angular and .Net Core
- Web and/or Application securityexperience (e.g. OWASP, SAML, SSO, OAuth, or API Security)
- Experience with continuous integration and continuous deployment.
Job ID 5871