The IT Systems Engineer is an intermediate level position working under general supervision and is responsible for servicing and supporting assigned technical infrastructure that support Progressive's business capabilities. Ensures infrastructure availability by providing second level troubleshooting and resolution of assigned Progressive infrastructure incidents. Works on problems of basic to moderate scope and complexity where analysis of situations requires a review of a variety of factors.
Essential Job Functions
The essential duties and responsibilities listed below are representative of those required on the job. Incumbents may perform other duties and responsibilities as assigned. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential duties and responsibilities.
- Troubleshoots and repairsinfrastructure defects that affect system performance and availability without disrupting production. Responds to users regarding abnormal system operations.
- Troubleshoots intermediate type issues and/or problems while adhering to standard incident managementprocesses.
- Researches customer questions and/or issues, which may include corresponding with customers, calling vendors for assistance, or escalating the problem to another group within IT.
- Makes recommendations for solutions, and resolves problems within service level agreement (SLA).
- Monitors the infrastructure and processes in order to identify areas for improvement.
- Makes recommendations for configuration changes to system infrastructure and processes as needed to ensure service level agreements are met.
- Creates and maintains documentation knowledge based articles (KBA) to supportprocesses
- Provides on the job training and coaching less experienced staff members and interns
- Assists in the cross training of lower level staff by developing course content and instructing ITUPO training.
- Participates in the business recovery and continuity processes, which may include working with others to test processes, and exercising the processes.
- Participates in project work surrounding production readiness to maintain and enhance assigned platforms.
- Occasional travel
- Evening/night hours may be required; Weekend hours may be required, holiday hours may be required and on-call hours may be required
Knowledge, skills/abilities listed below are the requirements needed to be proficient in the job.
- Must have 2+ years’ experience utilizing application dashboards.
- Minimum 2+ years’ experience administering monitoring systems such as AppDynamics, Stackify, etc.
- Strong Experience with Windows.
- Coordinate between support and development teams to ensure effective delivery of monitoring services to the end-user.
- Knowledge of IT operations, such as operating systems components, utilities, production schedulers and system environment hardware components (e.g., CPU, disk and tape technologies)
- Knowledge of computer coding/programming languages and software development concepts
- Knowledge of data structures, data management practices, system interaction patterns and interfaces
- Basic knowledge of various corporate security rules, legal and regulatory obligations such as PCI, SOX or similar standards
- Basic knowledge of vendor software integration and interaction patterns
- Technical problem-solving skills with the ability to find successful resolutions for issues of basic to moderate complexity.
- Test and maintain operating systems and system applications.
- The Monitoring Engineer is responsible for delivering and supporting large-scale network, system, application, service, and business activity monitoring solutions. This position involves the deployment and support of the tools the company uses to monitor their network, systems and applications. Individual will work with senior members of the team to gather monitoring requirements from stakeholders and deliver solutions utilizing the enterprise monitoring toolset.
- Good Technical skills.
- Excellent Communication (written as well) Skills.
- Self-driven individual with good project management skills.
- Solid understanding of large scale applications, networkarchitectures, monitoring and fault management.
Education And / Or Experience
Education and/or experiences listed below are the minimum requirements for job entry.
- Associate's degree in Information Technology, Telecommunications, Computer Science, Software Engineering, Math or related field of study and a minimum of two years working with operating system hardware and/or software components in a large IT environment with many categories of devices, infrastructures and operating systems.
- In lieu of a degree, a minimum of four years related experienceworking with operating system hardware and/or software components in a large IT environment with many categories of devices, infrastructures and operating systems may be accepted.
- This position requires online pre-employment testing for external candidates
Physical Requirements/Working Conditions
The physical requirements and working conditions listed below re representative of those required on the job. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential duties and responsibilities.
Typical office environment requiring the use of typical office equipment (e.g., computers, phones, etc.). Computer keyboarding, computer monitor and mouse use including reaching forward, grasping, finger and wrist manipulation, and neck bending and turning; near vision is necessary for computer monitor use. If working in an Emerging Workspace, or similar working arrangement, lifting of laptop equipment, files and/or personal belongings weighing 10 lbs. or less is required.
- Engineers assigned to work on the Physical Infrastructure within the Data Center environment will periodically be expected to lift, bend, stretch, walk, crouch, twist and/or lay on floor to pull cables throughout the building.
- Must be able to move and/or lift 50 lbs. with assistance.
- May require long period of sitting
- May require prolonged repetitive use of upper extremities