The IT Systems Test Engineer Associate is an entry-level position responsible for testing and solving testability problems with assistance from more experienced testers. Constructs technology that assists developers and testers with testing activities. Uses software engineering skills to identify risks and potential defects within software components or systems. Executes test engineering activities across software development life cycle.
Essential Job Functions
The essential duties and responsibilities listed below are representative of those required on the job. Incumbents may perform other duties and responsibilities as assigned. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential duties and responsibilities.
- Uses and constructs basic scripts and software systems (e.g. test automation fixtures, responders).
- Interprets and manipulates computer program's or system's components with assistance.
- Interacts closely with peers and business customers in the system analysis process and helps to gather requirements that facilitate system testing.
- Performs risk analysis activities as assigned.
- Uses available information and seeks additional guidance to understand the system under test.
- Identifies and makes recommendations to address typical testability challenges.
- Participates in requirements reviews, design reviews, systems analysis and testing review discussions.
- Follows the established Test Strategy and risk analysis to guide testing efforts for assigned work.
- Tests systems or system components.
- Validates the function of system under test and observes results from various external and internal interfaces with assistance.
- Provides status and results of testing activities.
- Contributes to the maintenance activities for platform or project test assets (e.g. Risk Catalog, regression test suites).
Knowledge, skills/abilities listed below are the requirements needed to be proficient in the job.
- Must have VB.NET and SQL experience.
- Basic knowledge of computer coding/programming languages and software development concepts
- Basic knowledge of common testing methods, terminology and industry practices
- Basic knowledge of data structures, data management practices, system interaction patterns and interfaces
- Ability to work in a team-oriented environment
- Ability to work on multiple projects and/or assignments simultaneously
- Listening, verbal and written communications skills
- Ability to adapt to new situations and learn quickly
Education And / Or Experience
Education and/or experiences listed below are the minimum requirements for job entry.
- Bachelor's degree in related field or minimum 1 year development experiencerequired. (e.g., Computer Science, Software Engineering, MIS).
- In lieu of a degree, a minimum of two years related work experience designing, programming, testing and supporting software programs or applications, or the completion of an established apprenticeship program may be accepted.
Physical Requirements / Working Conditions
The physical requirements and working conditions listed below are representative of those required on the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential duties and responsibilities.
- Typical office environment requiring the use of typical office equipment (e.g., computers, phones, etc.). Computer keyboarding, computer monitor and mouse use including reaching forward, grasping, finger and wrist manipulation, and neck bending and turning; near vision is necessary for computer monitor use. If working in an Emerging Workspace, or similar working arrangement, lifting of laptop equipment, files and/or personal belongings weighing 10 lbs. or less is required.
- May require long periods of sitting
- May require prolonged repetitive use of the upper extremities