IT System Engineer
Job ID: 20822
- The IT Systems Engineer (ITSE) will work as a member of a cross-functional team to support the design, building, and maintenance of the OpenStack based NASA Goddard Private Cloud (GPC) as well as a network enclave supporting labs.
- The ITSE will provide technical expertise from Layer 1 and up in areas such as networkarchitecture, high availability, performance, scalability, and, securitysupporting the GPC and the lab enclave.
- The ITSE will provide professional, courteous, and timely customer service to a diverse customer base including NASA mission scientists, engineers, and IT staff across a wide range of technical ability.
- The ITSE will be required to perform physical installation and configuration of servers, racks, switches, cables, and related equipment. This requires occasional heavy lifting up to 50lbs.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills
- Continuous desire to learn and improve
- Ability to work well within a team or as an individual, depending on the circumstances
- CentOS/RHEL server administration
- BASH scripting
- Understanding of common network protocols (TCP, UDP, IP, DNS, DHCP, HTTP/HTTPS, etc.)
- Solid experience in OpenStack components, Mitaka or newer: Nova, Neutron, Horizon, Keystone, Glance, Cinder
- Firewall and network switch administration
- Individual must meet government NAC and citizenship/permanent residency requirements for access to NASA GSFC. Extensive background investigation will be performed as a requirement of the job.
Education and Experience:
- College degree and 5-7 years of relevant experience. Advanced business or technical degree desirable.
- Desired certifications: Industry security certification (e.g. Security+, CISSP, etc.)
- Required experience:
- SNORT (configure, maintain, and monitor IDS solution)
- Desired experience: Windows Server 2012 and 2016 Apache BIND, Ubuntu Linux server 16.04 and/or newer IBM Spectrum Scale (GPFS), HA Proxy & keepalive, MySQL/MariaDB database including HA OpenStack components, Mitaka or newer: Swift, Snort, Heat, Ceilometer, Gnocchi eXtreme Cluster Administration Tool (XCAT) Puppet. Also, 1-2+ years of hands-on experience designing, building, and maintaining OpenStack clouds with exposure to Mitaka and/or newer releases. 5+ years of experience designing, building, and maintaining Linux servers with exposure to RHEL and/or Centos, 1+ years of experience creating cloud friendly images (cloud-init, SysPrep, etc.), 1+ years of experience administering virtual servers in a cloud environment.
- US Citizen or green card holder with 3 consecutive years living in the US.
The Equal Employment Opportunity Policy of the SGT is to provide a fair and equal employment opportunity for all employees and job applicants regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status or disability. SGT hires and promotes individuals solely on the basis of their qualifications for the job to be filled. SGT believes that employees should be provided with a working environment which enables them to be productive and to work to the best of his or her ability. We do not condone or tolerate an atmosphere of intimidation or harassment based on race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status or disability. We expect and require the cooperation of all employees in maintaining a discrimination and harassment-free atmosphere.