What sets Bank of the West apart from other banks is our team members–they embody the optimistic spirit of the West. There is a spirit here that drives us to do more. Our team of more than 10,000 employees is vital to the success of our Bank. They reflect our modern western values—straightforward, entrepreneurial and optimistic. We seek to create a corporate culture that fosters and rewards excellence, encourages creative thinking and respects diversity – an environment where team members are engaged, supportive of one another and enthusiastic about serving our customers. Bank of the West offers the stability of a company that has a 135 year history and is part of BNP Paribas, a European leader in global banking and financial services and one of the 6 strongest banks in the world. We offer opportunities across our diverse business lines – Retail Banking, Commercial Banking, National Finance, and Wealth Management.
Job Description Summary
This position is responsible leading all IT development work for the multi-million dollar Cash Management Transformation program. Responsibilities will include:
- Leading all systems development for the Cash Management business unit of Commercial Banking Group.
- Leading all IT work for a complete Digital Transformation of the Cash Management business.
- Lead the implementation and customization of new online and mobile applications for corporate customers to allow for manage their cash management.
- Lead the implementation of a new Payment Hub to allow integration of existing payment channels (wires, ACH) and implementation of new payment channels (RTP).
- Lead the re-engineering of customer onboarding and servicing systems for Cash Management.
- Partner with multiple IT teams (infrastructure, shared services, data, application support) and vendors to deliver this multi-million dollar initiative.
- Leading the Solution Delivery team and act as a key business partner for the business unit. Provide strategy, technology leadership and management of project execution.
Essential Job Functions
- Be the go-to IT Delivery Lead for the business unit for all IT software projects.
- Responsible for the delivery of end-to-end technical solutions.
- Helps with evaluating business needs and proposing and sizing the related technology solutions.
- Directs the execution of technology solutions that deliver client value and lasting business impact, including delivering the benefits outlined in the business case.
- Ensures that development is highly strategic and focuses on maintaining the reliability and functionality essential to internal/external constituents.
- Counsels on design and architecture, internal development or outsourcing, project management and overall life cycle and implementation activities for a wide range of applications and services for lines of business or cross business use.
- Creates transparency into the project portfolio and ongoing production support capital and operating expenses and budgets. Reports on key technology success metrics.
- Adopts and executes standards as established through the SDLC and enterprise architecture.
- Drives delivery of new technology initiatives through combination of outsourced software implementation and internal services integration and/or development.
- Directs and coordinates the end-to-end delivery of multiple projects from idea to implementation.
- Proactively leads the team of engineers and vendors to deliver high quality solutions with minimal defects.
- Partner with the enterprise program office to contribute best practices and transform the organizations software development capabilities.
- Partner with our business units, understand the strategy and driver for our products and make sure that our solutions meet the requirements.
- Partner with other IT teams to make sure that all aspects of business technology needs are met.
- Ensure projects are realistic, interesting, and fun for everyone involved.
Required Education or Equivalent Experience
- Master’s degree in computer science or information systems or a related field required.
- Experience in the fields of Commercial Banking and Cash Management.
- Certification such as PMP or Six Sigma and/or finance related certification(s) such as CFA
- Minimum of 15+ years of proven IT leadership and software delivery management experience in the financial services industry.
- Financial domain knowledge in the Commercial Banking, Cash Management, or Investment Banking.
- Proven track record for leading digital transformation work (online, mobilebanking);
- Strong software delivery leadership capable of running diverse multi-location engineering and QA teams;
- Extensive Agile experience (SCRUM master, iteration plans, multiple work streams);
- Extensive software integration experience of both internal and vendor products using up-to-date technologies like Web Services and Enterprise Service Bus.
- Ability to engage and articulate across all levels of the Bank.
- Ability to discuss business goals and connect them to technology capabilities to be delivered.
- Ability to lead / manage the delivery of technology solutions and project portfoliosupporting business goals and strategy.
- Demonstrated ability to engage with 3rd party vendors and select and integrate major vendor software.
- Experience with adopting and executing technical standards, processes and governance across a broad project portfolio.
- Extensive experience with formal SDLC methodologies such as RUP, Agile.
- Ability to think on your feet, present multiple solution options, and drive reliable technical solutions.
Field of Experience
- World-class communicator, including at executive levels.
- Track record of proactive successful leadership in matrixed organizations.
- Exceptional relationship skills and collaborative approach in working with lines of business.
- Extensive experience in Commercial Banking IT delivery.
- Experience with Design Thinking and UX usability and design principles.
- Technology agnostic and able to combine and integrate multiple internal and vendor solutions.
- Demonstrated ability to build state of the art digital user experience and mission critical applications.
- Subject matter expertise in all areas of IT Solution Delivery for Commercial Banking.
- Ability to distill complex information into transparent communications, plans and strategies,
- Skillful at managing through change; comfortable with ambiguity
- Strong analytical skills.
- Strong project management ability and detail-orientation
- Excellent presentation and written communication skills
- Empathetic and diplomatic
- Highest standards of ethics and personal integrity
Leadership Competencies/Personal Attributes:
- Experience within a highly matrixed, collaborative environment is essential
- Ability to effectively advise and communicate.
- Strong strategic thinking skills
- Displays high intellectual capacity, sound professional judgment and discretion to lead in complex, changing, and ambiguous environments
- Communicates effectively with diverse groups and individuals - clearly conveys information and ideas and listens and responds appropriately to external vendors and individuals throughout the Bank including senior and executive management
- Develops open, considerate, effective and productive working relationships with customers, external contacts, and individuals throughout Bank of the West
- Displays advanced decision making and analysis skills - draws information and broad knowledge to make timely and logical decisions that provide practical solutions
- Adaptability - responds appropriately and competently to the demands of work challenges when confronted with changes, ambiguity, adversity, and other pressures
- Strong business acumen and problem solving ability
- Business-minded, marketing focused and technology savvy.
- Personal Ownership - Assumes responsibility for effectively meeting objectives, motivates self to get the job done, performs job duties in an organized, accurate and productive fashion, seeks out and is open to knowledge, ideas and feedback to improve effectiveness, and holds self-accountable for following policies, guidelines, and procedures
- Leads medium-large size teams (50+) and projects of large scope and complexity.
- Leads teams outside of immediate reports through influencing.