The Server Engineer is responsible for the design, implementation, maintenance, and support for large scale enterprise Microsoft, VMware and Dell Equal logic/Compellent storage environment. The Server Engineer is expected to have a strong foundation of Windows Server 2012/2008/2003, VMware infrastructureand Active Directory. The Server Engineer demonstrates technical leadership skills that enable him or her to serve as the lead technical resource on complex systems projects. Provides strong technical, analytical and communication skills for the management and administration of the hosted Linux environments. Day-to-day responsibilities include system administration including the monitoring of systems, security, performance, and backup/restore and configuration changes. Troubleshoot incidents, determine root causes, and finds/ implements solutions for problems. Develops solutions and processes for reliable and stable data storage management, security, backup, restoration, archiving and replication. Assists with the implementation of new or additional storage technology to improve infrastructure service locally and remotely.
- System Development & Operation:
- Installs, configures and maintains Windows Server 2012/2008/2003 and VMware infrastructure.
- Primary responsibility will be performing daily support of the Windows Server 2012/2008/2003 and VMware environment.
- Performs system backups and disaster recovery using Snap technology.
- Supports and troubleshoots Windows server applications developed in-house and externally.
- Troubleshoots and resolves Windows OS, and Linux OS issues on VMware and Windows Server platforms.
- Possesses experience with group policy objects on domain servers.
- Has experience performing P2V, V2V and V2P migrations.
- Maintains documentation of the server and application environments.
- Demonstrates strong troubleshooting and problem solving skills, including application and network-level troubleshooting ability.
- Deployment, administration, and monitoring of a large-scale system environments.
- Works with development teams to harden, enhance, document, and generally improve the operability of servers and application environment.
- Builds Virtual Machines based on VMWare.
- Installs patches and system upgrades.
- Thoroughly understands business needs and ensures comprehensive testing scenarios are documented.
- Testing of projects is to be in accordance with written business and functional design documents and following established standard
- Responsible for delivering assignments within specified time frames, adhering to all established methodologies, standards and guidelines individually or as a member of a project team.
- Reports, monitors and verifies system defects, as necessary. Ensures that defects in the products have been corrected and document results of testing.
- Provides ownership and accountability for assigned testing, keeping supervisor aware of progress and risk.
- Training &Education:
- Maintains professional/technical knowledge by reading professional publications and attending continuing education seminars and classes.
- Keeps informed of trends in technology.
- Special Projects:
- Participates in process improvement projects.
- Responds to after hour pages and participates in rotational on-callschedule.
- Familiarity with Microsoft products such as SQL, IIS, SharePoint and Exchange,
- Possesses strong troubleshooting and problem solving skills, including application and network-level troubleshooting ability.
- High levels of confidence and experience in using the typical Linux toolbox of open source software and management tools.
- Strong understanding of various protocols and services including NFS, DHCP, DNS, IP, TCP, UDP, TFTP, NTP.
- Ability to develop business relationships and communicate effectively with the developers, peers and supervisors.
- Strong writing skills and the ability to create professional business documents.
- Applies strong knowledge of processes and resources required to perform analytical and technical problem solving tasks.
- Ability to use data and logic to quickly find solutions to difficult challenges.
- Adheres to schedules and agendas and respects others’ time.
- Effectively prioritizes and executes tasks in a high-pressure environment.
- Adjusts effectively to new work demands, processes, structures and cultures.
- Works well independently or in teams.
- Able to manage multiple assignments simultaneously.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor (4-year) degree with a technical major such as engineering or computer science, or demonstrated work experience.
- Proficiency with common Windows System administration and AD tools essential.
- Must have working knowledge of the following areas: VMware vSphere 5 and 6 and VMware Horizon, Linux, Windows Server 2012/2008/2003 Domain Environment (Active Directory, DHCP, DNS, etc.).
- Must be able to balance high quality standards with schedule pressures and demanding environment.
- Must be a resourceful self-starter, flexible, pro-active, solution-oriented and customer-oriented.