If you're ready to be part of our legacy of hope and innovation, we encourage you to take the first step and explore our current job openings. Your best is waiting to be discovered.
This is a Stanford Health Care job.
A Brief Overview
The SR MGR-INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY is responsible for leading and managing the delivery of IT systems and services for the hospital’s information technology applications. The position combines leadership experience over Lab Information Systems (LIS) with deep and wide technical expertise across a variety of technologies. The Senior Manager is responsible for appropriate staffing, staff management, performance management and overall scheduling. This is a highly visible leadership role that will be in front of client executive leadership to provide progress reports, forecasts, or analysis of various situations regarding the support of a portfolio of clinical and non-clinical applications, specifically the support of IT Clinical applications and technology platforms in Stanford’s Anatomic Pathology and Transfusion labs, and in support of the Laboratory Outreach business functions, amongst other lab clinical applications and functions.
Stanford Health Care
What you will do
- Maintain direct knowledge of current and future capabilities across all in-scope applications portfolio.
- Advise IT management and relevant steering committees regarding the direction of advanced IT systems and applications.
- Develop roadmaps and long range plans for all in-scope applications and systems.
- Maintain strong understanding of technology and its application to achieve clinical and business objectives.
- Prepare analysis and/or proposals when necessary.
- Provide strategic and operational leadership for lifecycle management, including selection, implementation, maintenance, upgrade, and enhancement of SHC’s information technology systems and applications.
- Incorporate best practices to improve existing organizational methods and processes.
- Work closely with other IT leadership in developing short and long range plans, and reviews these plans with senior IT leadership as well as other organizational management.
- Guide requirements gathering and solution design activities including the design of workflows as it relates to area of responsibility.
- Negotiate resolution of conflicting requirements across the agencies and/or departments.
- Set and measure performance objectives and provide regular one-on-one feedback to all members of the team.
- Hire, evaluate the performance of and implement corrective action, up to and including termination, for assigned staff as necessary. Address individual staff performance problems as needed.
- Manage delivery and SLAs by guiding incident resolution, problem management, maintenance, and enhancement tickets raised by the end users for the suite of applications in the responsibility area.
- Develop relevant metrics, measure and publish the performance of the services provided and enable continuous improvement activities in collaboration with peer groups.
- Ensure both foundation and community physicians have a high level of customer satisfaction for services and products provided.
- Effectively support and fulfill the vision of SHC for developing these services and capabilities to support growth and outreach business initiatives.
- Be appropriately trained and advocate the use of Process Excellence methodologies approved within SHC such as Lean.
- Work closely with all other IT management personnel in identifying, evaluating, and selecting and implementing specific information technology which support the business plans and IT strategies.
- Define procedures that are compliant with hospital and departmental policies.
- Assist with the preparation of budget for IT systems and services related to area of responsibility.
- Keep abreast of new developments, and forecasts future trends in the areas of health care IT management. Maintain a strong understanding of technology and its application to achieve medical and business objectives.
- Prepare analysis and or proposals for other enterprise departments when necessary. Serve as an internal consultant to other IT management staff, and operations community as needed.
- Coach, mentor and manage staff to implement, maintain and support all related software, configurations and workflows.
- Support Director and other associates with marketing efforts and other educational events as assigned.
- Support research and publish “white papers” and “decision point documents” for use in the department, user communities, Care Delivery Council, and Executive IT Steering Committee as assigned.
- Collaborate with other managers and leads to develop an effective on-call rotation schedule across various teams for 24/7 support.
- Provide ongoing troubleshooting, support, and maintenance of applications; including 24/7 on call coverage as required.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university.
- Epic certification in Beaker AP, strongly preferred. Beaker CP, optional.
- Medical Technologist ASCP Certification, strongly preferred.
- 7 or more years of progressively responsible and directly related work experience managing Lab Information Systems (LIS) application teams.
- Prefer 4 years of experience with relevant applications, including Beaker AP, Digital Pathology and SafeTrace Tx.
- Direct implementation experience with an end-to-end Epic Beaker AP deployment, strongly preferred.
- 3 years of experience planning and managing IT programs including budgeting, resource, management, and delivery development.
- Previous LIS managerial experience in a healthcare provider organization is required.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Healthcare background, experience and performance that promotes a high level of credibility with clinical professionals.
- Knowledge and understanding of goals and the interdependencies of functional departments and groups (in health care industry) and the ability to lead large-scale complex IT projects in addressing overall business needs.
- Knowledge and ability to direct a staff in integrating information technology services with work requirements and deliverables.
- Knowledge of informational technology disciplines; eg, network operations, databases, software applications and interfaces, production operations, quality assurance and systems management.
- Knowledge of principles and practices of organization, administration, fiscal and personnel management.
- Knowledge of project management process and systems
- Excellent written, oral, instructional, presentation and interpersonal skills focused on motivation and positive attitude. Highly self-motivated, directed and change oriented. Very strong customer orientation.
- Ability to demonstrate objectivity, sensitivity, and a balanced perspective regarding employee concerns and organizational issues.
- Ability to evaluate and negotiate contracts and manage vendor service agreements.
- Ability to manage complex projects and resources (people, costs, and time) across multiple sub-teams and portfolios.
- Ability to handle confrontation with appropriate grace, professionalism, cordiality, and firmness, and manage/resolve disputes appropriately.
- Ability to communicate concepts in elegant, concise, eloquent form to management and to cross-functional departments or teams verbally, in writing, and through pictures or diagrams when appropriate
- Ability to apply judgment and make informed decisions
- Ability to develop programs and lead process improvement projects.
- Ability to foster effective working relationships and build consensus with other departments and external vendors.
- Ability to strategize, plan, organize, prioritize, work independently and meet deadlines.
- Ability to supervise, coach, mentor, train, and evaluate work results.
- Knowledge of local, state and federal regulatory requirement related to the functional area.
- Knowledge of current issues and trends in health care and clinical operations in a health care system.
- Knowledge of new technologies (in specific field) and maintain and stay abreast of updates and changes.