Woolpert, Inc. is a cutting-edge national architecture, engineering and geospatial (AEG) firm that delivers value to clients by blending engineering excellence with innovative technology and geospatial applications. Woolpert continues to be certified as an Employer of Choice by Great Place To Work®. We believe great companies are built from exceptional people and amazing clients. Because of our growth, we are seeking Technical Project Manager for our IT group.
Woolpert’s Technical Project Manager – IT, defines, documents, and carries out projects, alone or with a small team, actively participating in all phases of the project. It is essential that you have solid understanding of modern IT processes and technologies as it relates to IT infrastructure, operations, and service management. You will identify, assess, and manage risks to the success of the project by appropriate project management methods and tools. The Technical Project Manager - IT agrees on project approach with stakeholders, and prepares realistic plans including quality, risk and communications plans and tracks activities against the project managing stakeholder involvement as appropriate. This is a hands-on position that would require you to contribute to team’s success by identifying tasks that can be offloaded from the technical team members and be completed by you as Project Manager (for example, build out a test plan or write various technical documents).
Knowledge & Experience
- Proven project management and organizational skills.
- Working knowledge of IT infrastructure, operations, and service management. For example, be able to explain the difference between on premise storage options and cloud storage options or explain what Microsoft tenant is.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Especially in writing technical documents.
- Being able to process and analyze technical information and explain it to a non-technical colleague.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office suite
- Attention to detail and be able to QC their own work.
Nice to have:
- Deep experience in M365 and the broader Microsoft portfolio
- Experience in leading M&A IT Integration projects is a big plus
- Understanding of Public Cloud (Azure preferred)
- Experience working in a mature PMO or within a PEMBOK framework
- Some travel may be required
- Proven analytical and problem-solving abilities.
- Ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment.
- Strong interpersonal and oral communication skills.
- Skilled at working within a team-oriented, collaborative environment.
- Ability to present ideas and solutions in business-friendly and user-friendly language.
- Ability to both; provide and receive constructive criticism to improve their team and themselves.
- Highly self-motivated and self-directed.
Strategy & Planning
- Define project scope, goals, and deliverables that support business goals in collaboration with senior management and stakeholders.
- Effectively communicate project expectations to team members and stakeholders in a timely and clear fashion.
- Liaise with project stakeholders on an ongoing basis.
- Set and continually manage project expectations with team members and other stakeholders.
- Plan and project timelines and milestones using appropriate tools.
- Track project milestones and deliverables.
- Determine the frequency and content of status reports from the project team, analyze results, and troubleshoot problem areas.
- Define project success criteria and disseminate them to involved parties throughout project life cycle.
- Conduct project postmortems and create a recommendations report in order to identify successful and unsuccessful project elements.
- Develop best practices and tools for project execution and management.
Acquisition & Deployment
- Estimate the resources and participants needed to achieve project goals.
- Draft and submit budget proposals and recommend subsequent budget changes where necessary.
- Where required, negotiate with other department managers for the acquisition of required personnel from within the company.
- Determine and assess need for additional staff and/or consultants and make the appropriate recruitments, if necessary, during project cycle.
- Direct and manage project development from beginning to end.
- Develop full-scale project plans and associated communications documents.
- Help technical team by taking on tasks that can be accomplished by non-technical personnel. For example, write a user acceptance testing document.
- Delegate tasks and responsibilities to appropriate personnel, set expectations, and follow up on progress.
- Identify and resolve issues and conflicts within the project team.
- Identify and manage project dependencies and critical path.
- Develop and deliver progress reports, proposals, requirements documentation, and presentations.
Formal Education & Certification
- College diploma or university degree with 5 or more years of experience managing technical projects, or equivalent with 10+ years of experience
- PMP certification a plus.
- Willingness to undergo a pre-employment verification process and drug screening.