The Program manager is a driver who facilitates and motivates, ensuring collaboration, communication, and visibility of programs comprising of projects. The incumbent will work with various stakeholders at different levels of the organization to manage projects, monitor operations, and improve transparency. He/she will need to provide diplomatic and timely communication to the Program Sponsor and stakeholders, in an agile work environment with iterative planning and delivery cycles, while ensuring quality control throughout the program life cycle following methodology that has been established by the IT PMO.Job Description:
- Maintain oversight of programs comprising of projects along with the operational efficiency of project teams throughout the program life cycle. Implement standards and set the correct expectations for planning and execution.
- Defining the program governance (controls);
- Planning the overall program and monitoring the progress;
- Managing the program's budget;
- Managing risks and issues and taking corrective measurements;
- Coordinating the projects and their interdependencies;
- Managing and utilizing resources across projects;
- Managing stakeholders' communication;
- Aligning the deliverables (outputs) to the program's "outcome" with the aid of the business change manager; and
- Managing the main program documentations such as the program initiation document.
- Ensure project team leadership has a clear understanding of goals and timelines of plans.
- Support project managers and teams to analyze and solve problems across business areas (people, structures, processes and technology); identify the things that work together to improve operational health.
- Ensure a consistent and shared understanding of best practices across project teams and functions.
- Ensure standards for communications and reporting are being followed. Monitor and provide feedback on communications of the project team. Maintain a cultural awareness in their communications.
- Influence across the team leadership level to solve problems affecting how the teams they work with get their work done.
- Engage with leadership to promote PMO vision and goals
- Collaborating with stakeholders to understand their objectives;
- Establishing, overseeing, and developing technical teams to fulfill program objectives;
- Tracking objective progress from start to finish.
- Observing every aspect of the program: finance, resources, interdependencies and milestones on day one.
- Creating and maintaining an Integrated Master Schedule.
- Coordinating the delivery of multiple projects.
- Developing cost benefit analyses for the program.
- Communicating to Stakeholder and corporate executives.
- Creating and reporting program status.
- Allocating resources across multiple projects.
- Managing project governance policies.
- Managing the financial concerns of the program.
- Must be able to effectively communicate technical components and aspects of an initiative to Stakeholders and service support personnel.
- Achieving broad goals supporting corporate business strategy.
Understands and complies with established departmental processes and procedures designed to support internal controls efforts. Identifies and brings to the attention of department management internal controls deficiencies.
Successful incumbents will have:
- 10+ years experience working in information technology within an operational team, or in program/project management role, along with strong practical experience in project management, gained through managing large and complex projects.
- Able to identify and implement process design and re-engineering to achieve both incremental and transformational business impact.
- Comfortable talking about technical matters with business people and business matters with technical people.
- Successful at getting buy-in for ideas with a demonstrated affinity for metrics.
- Respectful and influential; have the ability to push back when needed and can approach work rationally.
- Bias for action and work comfortably with ambiguity.
- Analyze information to find trends or diagnose problem areas.
- Experience defining and reporting on operational metrics and generating problem statements that are supported by data they have compiled.
- Enjoy decomposing and defining workflows and processes.
- Naturally compelled to utilize Lean principles of continuous improvement.
- Develop innovative solutions and collaborate with global counterparts and cross-functional teams to implement them.
- Project management experience includes building operational programs that are scalable, defining roadmaps and translating strategic initiatives into tactical, objective projects making up a program.
- Supervisory experience managing and leading an IT team of at least 5-10 members.
- Able to manage complex cross-functional programs and projects. Strive to meet aggressive goals, and know when to reset expectations.
- Possess system to manage change and influence decisions and change management through collaboration, leadership, and a customer-focused approach.
- Bachelor's degree in related field (e.g., computer science, engineering, management, accounting, finance) with 10+ years of Information Technology program/project management experience. An equivalent combination of education, certification, and relevant experience required
- PMI-PMP preferred
- Program management experience with large IT programs and projects which are typically enterprise wide in scope and may involve mixed technology or cross-functional strategy.
- Ability to integrate and align strategy across functions, processes and teams.
- Experience with large scale financial, manufacturing and HR systems and supporting IT applications
- Agile/lean experience in organizations leveraging lean/agile methodologies and in-depth experience with specific agile methodologies such as Scrum, Kanban, or SAFE a plus
- Ability to effectively work in a team environment.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
Characteristics that set a Program Manager apart:
• Excellent strategic thinker and decision maker
• Solid knowledge and handling of project and program management methodology and techniques
• Good understanding of the wider objectives of the program
• Seamless ability to work effectively with the wide range of individuals involved in program management – both functional business and IT leads
• Exceptional process and analytical capabilities.
• Strong leadership and management skills
• Customer focused, aware of the importance of end user satisfaction
• Proficient knowledge of budgeting and resource allocation procedures
• Ability to find innovative ways to resolve problems