Reporting to the Vice President of Information Technology, the IT Manager of Reporting & Analytics will manage the people, processes and technology stacks responsible for accurate data collection, processing, modeling and analysis. The ideal candidate demonstrates a knack for seeing solutions in data sets and the business mindset to convert insights into strategic opportunities for NORCAL Group creating an analytics framework to enable greater data-driven decision making. This role will work closely with stakeholders to implement and support high-quality, next-generation analytics solutions. This role willalso ensure data accuracy and consistent reporting by designing and creating optimal processes and procedures for the Reporting and Analytics team. Please note: This position can be located remotely anywhere in the United States.
Essential Functions: Individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The essential functions listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability
required with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Lead, coach, and grow a team of R&A Specialists to be an integral component of the digitalization framework at NORCAL.
- Lead cross-functional projects using advanced data modeling and analysis techniques to discover insights that will guide strategic decisions and uncover optimization opportunities.
- Build, develop, and maintain data models, reporting systems, data automation systems, dashboards and performance metrics to support key business decisions.
- Design and build technical processes to address business issues.
- Oversee the design and delivery of reports and insights that analyze business functions, key operations, and performance metrics.
- Ensure accuracy of data and deliverables of reporting employees with comprehensive policies and processes.
- Manage and optimize processes for data intake, validation, mining, and engineering as well as modeling, visualization, and communication deliverables.
- Examine, interpret, and report results of analytical initiatives to stakeholders in leadership, technology, sales, marketing, and product teams.
- Oversee the data/report requests process: tracking requests submitted, prioritization, approval, etc.
- Develop and implement quality controls and departmental standards to ensure quality standards, organizational expectations, and regulatory requirements.
- Anticipate future demands of initiatives related to people, technology, budget, and business within your department and design/implement solutions to meet these needs.
- Organize and drive successful completion of data insight initiatives through effective management of analyst and data employees and effective collaboration withstakeholders.
- Communicate results and business impacts of insight initiatives to stakeholders internally and externally.
Fiscal Responsibilities: None
Supervisory Responsibilities: None
Expenses: Employees must be able to pay for certain business expenses in advance. Examples include such items as airline tickets, rental cars, hotel deposits, seminar
registrations, etc. Employees are eligible for reimbursement for such expenses through NORCAL Group's Expense Reimbursement Policy.
Required Driving: None
Non-Essential Functions: None
Physical/Environmental Working Conditions:
- General office environment is primarily sedentary work which requires the following physical activities including: standing, sitting, walking, reaching, lifting, finger dexterity, grasping, repetitive motions, talking, hearing, and visual acuity.
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds.
- Exposure to LCD on a daily basis.
- A moderate noise level is usual.
- Occasional business travel may be required.
- BS/BA in Computer Science, Engineering, relevant field or commensurate workingexperience.
- Graduate degree in Computer Science, Statistics, Informatics, Information Systems, or another quantitative field preferred.
- At least 2 years of experience managing technical personnel
- At least 3 years of experience with a data visualization tool in a corporate environment (e.g., Microsoft Power BI, Tableau, Cognos)
- At least 5 years of experience in a position monitoring, manipulating and drawing insights from data
- Insurance experience is preferred
- Proven abilities to take initiative and be innovative
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong collaboration and delegation skills
- Strong ability to plan and manage numerous processes, people and projects simultaneously.
- Ability to develop personnel and road maps for digital-grade intelligence.
- Extreme attention to detail and data quality
- Ability to grasp and implement new or cutting-edge concepts and technologies quickly.
- Strong problem solving, quantitative and analytical abilities.
- Working knowledge of data mining principles: predictive analytics, mapping, collecting
- data from multiple data systems on premises and cloud-based data sources.
- Experience using analytical concepts and statistical techniques: hypothesis development, designing tests/experiments, analyzing data, drawing conclusions, and developing actionable recommendations for business units.
- Statistical modeling techniques: GLM multiple regression, logistic regression, log-linear regression, variable selection, etc.
- Experience using analytics techniques to contribute to company growth efforts, increasing revenue and other key business outcomes.
- Advanced working SQL knowledge and experience working with relational databases,query authoring (SQL) as well as working familiarity with a variety of databases.
- Experience working with and creating dashboards to inform decisions.
- Data Warehouse design (e.g.dimensional modeling), and business analytics.
- Experience integrating data from multiple sources.
- Familiarity with database management systems, Microsoft SSAS Tabular models (in-memory databases) and ETL (Extract, transform, load) framework.
- Understanding of agile software development processes (SDLC) is preferable.
NORCAL rewards eligible employees with competitive salaries and excellent employee benefits including the following:
- Comprehensive health benefits including medical, dental, vision, & life effective date of hire
- Health Care & Dependent Care Flexible Spending Accounts
- 7.5 hour work days – 37.5 hour work week
- 4 weeks of PTO plus paid holidays
- Employee Bonus Program
- 401(k) with generous dollar for dollar match up to 5% of eligible compensation withadditional 3% non-elective employer contribution
- Community Involvement Fund – Volunteer and/or company matching contributions
- Wellness Reimbursement
- Adoption Assistance
- Education Reimbursement
- Employee Recognition Program
- NORCAL University Employee Training & Development Programs