Thrivent is currently seeking an IT Manager for Insurance Product Administration Systems. This IT Manager position is responsible for leading ongoing technology capability strategy and enablement for systems that directly support insurance carrier functions; annuity, payout, life insurance and health product administration. It may include relationships and connectivity to third party administrators when the carrier determines administration will be done externally. To be successful in this role, collaborative interaction with the Insurance Product Support Systems and Integration teams will be required as well as partnership with Business leadership for their assigned functional system. In our current state, these systems support the captive field distribution channel primarily, and the members who utilize it.
This position willreportto the Director – IT, Insurance Product Systems.
Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Build and maintain a high-performing team; select, develop, coach, reward and recognize team members
General Management and Decision Making
- Manage one or more sub-areas or groups within the IT division, functional area, or group of products/services/technologies. Alternatively, head a sub-area within a geographical region.
- Be responsible for the development and execution of objectives, plans and policies for area of responsibility.
- Make operational and strategic decisions that may have significant impact, on functionality, quality or effectiveness of business unit activities.
- Participate in, support and execute business initiatives, plans and policies which are somewhat complex in nature and have a significant impact on the business unit's profitability and strategic direction.
- Monitor budget, expenses and scope and facilitate project delivery and support
- Initiate, design, and monitor continuous improvement activities for program/department/business
- Build long-term client relationships within departments/divisions
- Execute the employee management process for staff (e.g. staffing decisions, coaching, development, evaluation)
- Manage, coach, and mentor team members and leaders. Provide specific, timely, and constructive performance feedback.
- Set performance targets and evaluate/enforce service delivery against targets
- Establish vision, direction, and specific objectives for team efforts; encourage collaboration.
- Establish and support an environment in which all personnel can develop and apply their talents to meet Client TechnologyOrganization/individual goals
- Establish and support an environment enabling work/life balance
- Follow HR policies and procedures in people management activities
- Conduct communications that involve obtaining cooperation and agreement on issues that may be complex or controversial.
- Utilize negotiation and persuasion to come to agreement with others.
- Conduct external communications with a high level of interpersonal and negotiation skills to build effective long-term relationships typically with middle level contacts in customer and vendor organizations.
Required Job Qualifications
- 4 yeardegree; advanced degreepreferred (Business, IT, Computer Science, Math, Engineering, or related field)
- 8+ years management experience
- Experience with application development and project management preferred
- Familiarity with Mainframe preferred
- Experience managing vendor applications in-house desired
- Agile experience/understandingpreferred
Other Critical Factors
- Strong leadership skills and proven track record for managing large and complex initiatives (demonstrated skill in delivering results)
- Must have excellent written and verbal communication skills