The IT Mainframe Engineer IV is responsible for installing, customizing, and maintaining the IBM mainframe operating system software. Other responsibilities include; installing and upgrading 3rd party software products that run on the mainframe, create and maintain support documentation, enforce company policies and standards. The candidate must be skilled at debugging problems with the system software. This is accomplished by reviewing system dumps, logs, and utilizing specialized debugging tools. When the errors occur in a software product, the candidate must work directly with the software vendor support staff.
- Customizing IBM mainframe system software options and parameters - Non MGI Application (CICS and OS)
- Analyzing, developing, planning and performing mainframe operating system software installation and maintenance
- Knowledge of SMPE to perform mainframe software installation and maintenance, and develop USERMODs
- Knowledge of HCD to perform mainframe hardware configurations, installation and maintenance
- Implement, test and verify mainframe software – Non MGI Application
- Responsibility to identify, analyze and resolve mainframe software problems
- Knowledge of mainframe tools such as RMF, SMF, IPCS, IBM’s Debug Tool, Fault Analyzer, File Manager, SYSLOGs, etc., to resolve software problems
- Experience with coordinating operating system software problem determination and resolution in a mainframe SYSPLEX environment
- Ability to write and debug JCL, REXX, and CList
- Strong knowledge of systems performance and tuning.
- Strong Problem solving skills
- If the words Application, Developer, COBOL come up the person is not right for this role. (Note to recruiter can be removed)
- Within this process, Engineers are accountable for working with Operations and defining installation, configuration, and provision processes and standards, as well as types of instrumentation required to administer, monitor performance, and troubleshoot problems.
- Provides on-call support as an escalation point from level 2 Operations teams, or in SEV1 situations.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Any combination of relevant education and experience and/or related professional designations/certifications in this field is highly desirable.
- Minimum Required: Bachelors' degree
- 7-10 years' IT Operations and/or Engineering experience with increasing levels of responsibility.
- Excellent problem-solving skills and broad understanding of relationships between hardware and applications, and client/server relationships.
- In-depth understanding of the criticality of existing environments when leading/managing projects, software and/or hardware as it relates to the business needs, customers, partners and staff.
- Knowledge of the inputs and outputs associated with the data, software and/or hardware technology.
- In depth knowledge of the technology this position represents, including all aspects/activities required to maintain system stability and optimal performance.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to communicate technical information to nontechnical personnel.
- Ability to prioritize and handle multiple tasks.
- Availability to participate in on-call support as an escalation point from IT Operations or in high-severity incident situations.
- Strong project management skills.
- Mentor and leadership qualities.