Under moderate supervision, maintain hardware and software solutions for file, print, and application server needs throughout the university according to detailed procedures. Design, implement, maintain and troubleshoot Enterprise Storage system, Microsoft Windows Server and Red Hat Enterprise Linux solutions. This is a service-oriented position and requires communication skills to work closely with other members of [U]Tech and others within the schools in the resolution of end-user problems and to provide general support for faculty and staff. This position also requires responsibility for sensitive and confidential materials.
- Configure and maintain networked file and application servers for the university. (20%)
- Utilize new and innovative technology involving a high degree of skill and training, such as Amazon Web Services and VMware . (15%)
- Utilize existing enterprise services such as NAS, SAN, and Server Backup Services in new and existing solutions whether on site or in the Cloud. (15%)
- Responsible for researching new technologies and methods to improve the Enterprise Storage system (15%)
- Manage help desk tickets and incidents that occur within the environment (10%)
- Plan and perform systems integration and consolidation and provide research into cloud and data storage technologies in order to recommend and implement improvements. (10%)
- Contribute to operational excellence by maintaining server and data center standards such as RAID for data protection, iDRAC for remote access, and managed power. Compile statistics related to service needs, service usage and other items useful for capacity planning efforts. (10%)
- Participate in training seminars or classes as assigned, such as Amazon Web Services, VMware, Redhat Linux and Microsoft certification coursework. (5%)
- Provide secondary support for Active Directory Organizational Unit, UNIX servers, and Server Deployment Service when primary personnel are not available. (<1%)
- Perform other duties as assigned. (<1%)
Department: Frequent contact with other Cloud Services engineers and manager, moderate contact with staff within IT in order to provide guidance for projects, assistance during implementation, or help during on-going operations.
University: Occasional contact with faculty and staff in the schools to assess server, storage and security issues.
External: Occasional contact with a variety of vendors in order to evaluate, acquire and maintain products and services.
Students: Occasional contact with student employees. Help Desk tickets may be escalated to this position for resolution.
May supervise the training and performance of lower level technicians and student technicians.
Education and Experience: Associate's degree or relevant certification and 1 year of experience; or high school and 5 years of experience in server configuration and various network administration tasks. Prefer Bachelor’s degree in Computer Engineering or Computer Science.
- Demonstrated ability to perform server configuration and network administration tasks. Working knowledge of all Windows server and Red Hat Linux OS builds, and administration including creating and deploying virtual machine images using bare metal or virtual templates.
- Ability to maintain Microsoft Active Directory and LDAP administration policies, including but not limited to Group Policies, login scripts, user account maintenance.
- Experience with SAN and NAS storage devices.
- Experience with Windows management instrumentation and Windows Powershell scripting.
- Basic proficiency with word processor, spreadsheet, presentation, and diagramming tools such as Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Visio and Google Apps for Education.
- Excellent English oral and written communication skills, with the ability to communicate effectively and engage with diverse user base having varied levels of technical proficiencies.
- Ability to actively listen; responsive to verbal and nonverbal clues.
- Ability to look at situations from multiple perspectives, break problems into component parts, and look for underlying causes and think through the consequences of different courses of action. Ability to identify various types of problems along with the creation of workable solutions. Requires the identification and analysis of problems, evaluation of alternatives, and provision of solutions.
- Ability to develop networks and use them to strengthen internal and external support. Ability to identify opportunities and act to build strategic relationships between Utech and other University areas, teams, departments, etc., to help achieve business goals. Ability to work effectively at all levels within an organization.
- Ability to respond to difficult, stressful, or sensitive interpersonal situations in ways that reduce or minimize potential conflict and maintains good working relationships among internal and external customers. The ability to recognize awkward or potentially embarrassing situations that sometimes arise. Always aware of tone and careful choice of words, while at the same time ensuring that the intended message is clear, polite and readily understood. Ability to interact with colleagues, supervisors and customers face to face.
- Ability to develop in-depth understanding of client needs in order to be more helpful. The ability to consider how different audiences are likely to respond and choose the best method of communicating the message to each audience.
- Consistently models high standards of honesty, integrity, trust, openness and respect for the individual. Must have the ability to use discretion and good judgment on sensitive and important matters. Embraces diversity.
- Ability to properly handle sensitive, confidential or proprietary information, data, documents, etc.
- Ability to recognize the importance of certain tasks and responsibilities and the ability to prioritize to ensure that deadlines are met.
- Ability to be flexible in order to meet the constant changing scope and needs of the department, division and customers being served. Ability to work in a face-paced environment while managing multiple projects. Ability to optimize the use of time and resources to achieve the desired results; effectively plans and organizes work to minimize crises; prioritized appropriately.
- Ability to understand organizational change in light of internal and external trends, influences, and future technology.
- Ability to meet consistent attendance.
The working conditions are typical of an office environment and computer rooms. Some heavy lifting of about 45 pounds may be required and there is bending and kneeling involved to work under a computer room floor. The position will not need access to residence hall facilities but the position will have frequent access to the computer rooms. The employee may be required to carry a cell phone, during and after their normal work hours, including weekends to attend to after-hours emergencies. Travel between various locations on campus may be required. Employee will perform repetitive motion using computer mouse and keyboard to type.
In employment, as in education, Case Western Reserve University is committed to Equal Opportunity and Diversity. Women, veterans, members of underrepresented minority groups, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Case Western Reserve University provides reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities. Applicants requiring a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process should contact the Office of Equity at 216-368-3066 to request a reasonable accommodation. Determinations as to granting reasonable accommodations for any applicant will be made on a case-by-case basis.