Req ID: JR-0000038659
JR-0000038659, IT Director, DevOps Engineering Services
The diversity of Western Digital’s products (solid state solutions and hard disk drives for consumer and data center markets, S3 compatible data center archival systems and more) requires a variety of development environments and computing solutions be made available to engineering teams worldwide. Western Digital’s IT group is responsible for delivering the DevOps solutions to meet the needs of these many teams. The diversity and global reach of Western Digital’s products demands solutions that allow teams to develop products at scale without sacrificing stability, quality, velocity or code health.
As the Director of DevOps Engineering Services, you will be responsible for engaging and maintaining relationships with Western Digital’s development and engineering teams. As a technical relationship leader, your will have a pulse on the development team needs and feed those requirements into the IT for delivery of these solutions and services from IT to meet their needs. This Director will align and marshal IT resources to triage short term problems and align development teams to use IT delivered solutions in long term programs. The partnerships with engineering teams is meant to develop long term programs to optimize and modernize development workflows to help engineers develop, test, debug and release software for products more quickly. These improved and optimized development workflows will be built upon DevOps solutions delivered from IT.
This technical, hands on leader will build and lead a technical team to identify and mitigate development and workflow blockers. Mitigation efforts will be such that new capabilities and solutions can be provided by IT at scale and/or placed directly into the development organizations as well vetted point solutions. The leader and the team will operate as a consultancy, working with each of the organizations to “unwind” years of legacy methods and technical debt, while concurrently to helping to migrate build, tools and process into the modern era that is more efficient and is can be fully supportable by IT.
The ideal candidate will have a passion for technology, a relentless focus on the customer experience and an ability to multitask, assimilate data, make decisions and prioritize complex work while paying attention to the details. Communication with internal customers, vendors and peer technical leaders in a clear and professional manner is an absolute must.
- As the Director of DevOps Engineering Services, a technical team leader:
- Build, manage and lead a new, technically focused team to partner with development teams to deploy and support the world-class development processes and tools for the diverse, worldwide team of Western Digital software and development engineers as part of the Western Digital IT team. This new team will also own and drive short term triage/debug efforts encountered as WD development teams encounter blockers as their environments become support by IT.
- Be a technical leader in building and managing relationships between engineering development teams and IT.
- Work closely with software development teams (development, release, QA, production) to constantly look for ways to improve solutions deployed to meet their needs.
- Lead the engagement with development teams for new IT solutions and programs.
- Develop plans and projects (both short term and long term) to decrease current IT infrastructure requirements necessary for development teams to meet product goals and schedule commitments.
- Engage in new development programs discussions early to understand current and future requirements such that IT can develop scalable and sustainable solutions.
- Lead by example in the technical areas and drill into technical issues to recommend the right direction.
- Establish and maintain a collaborative, team-based cross-functional management approach that fosters engagement, consensus and collaboration.
- Work with the IT Leadership to support solution development, culture creation and operational efficiencies in alignment with long term planning goals
- Engage, coordinate and align with engineering and development teams’ decision makers/leadership to develop a short-term and long-term technology strategy to achieve corporate goals.
- Team management responsibilities include, but not limited to:
- Hire a new technical team to lead debug/triage efforts with WD development teams.
- Promote success for team members along their chosen career paths.
- Evaluate technical abilities of individual engineers, in order to match them with projects which demonstrate their strengths and stretch them to grow.
- Provide technical mentorship and training to engineers building quality solutions.
- BS/BA preferred or equivalent experience
- 10+ years of relevant industry experience, with at least 5 years of hands-on technical leadership and people management experience in IT and/or software development teams.
- Extensive experience in the design, implementation, delivery and support of sophisticated software build/test/continuous release and deployment infrastructure.
- DevOps skills including deep experience with Automation, Scripting, Configuration Management, Monitoring Tools in large scale, geographically diverse development environments.
- Extensive experience developing and automating continuous integration/delivery pipelines using virtual solutions
- Experience of Docker/Containers/Kubernetes/Google GO are highly desired
- Extensive experience in shell scripting/programming, systems automation tools (Salt, Puppet, Chef, FAI, Kickstart, Ansible)
- Experience with configuration Management utilities (SaltStack, Puppet, etc), and Source Control (Git, Subversion (ie. SVN))
- Must possess strong documentation skills and can work with rapid change and at a fast pace.
- Proven ability to build and lead high performing and geographically dispersed teams.
- Excellent analytical, problem solving, and troubleshooting skills to manage complex process and technology issues.