Headquartered in Chattanooga, Tennessee, Unum has significant US operations in Portland, Maine, Worcester, Massachusetts, and Glendale, California with over 35 field offices nationwide. Colonial Life is headquartered in Columbia, South Carolina with over 40 field offices nationwide. Starmount Life is based in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, and is the dental and vision center of excellence for Unum in the US.
This Technology Delivery Manager at Colonial Life will lead 2 functional teams (6-7 people) to build, enhance, transform and/or support technology services by successfully delivering on outcomes.
The Colonial Life IT organization is responsible for Value Streams covering the Field, Client, Consumer, Product, and Shared Services organization, in support of business capability development and delivery. The focus is to ensure Stability and Development across all Value Streams, with distinction between run and grow components within the Agile delivery teams.
We are looking for individuals with knowledge and experience with core platforms covering enrollment, policy administration, benefits, account management, data warehouse, analytics, workflow (BPM), and machine learning (AI & Robotics).
Strong preference for individuals with a focus around Customer Experience (UX/UI).
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Achieving the software/solutions/services delivery commitments of the team
- Maximizing the effectiveness of the team and takes actions to increase performance and effectiveness of the team. Which includes developing, mentoring and coaching team members. The role promotes and facilitates the professional development of team members and ensures plans are in place to elevate the performance of the team.
- May serve in a Scrum Master role for an agile team
- For Agile teams, works with business partners and team to translate the business strategy or roadmap into backlog items
- Responsible for ensuring that the agile team(s) apply best of breed software engineering practices including but not limited to – Test Driven Development, Peer Reviews, Continuous Integration and Continuous Deployment practices, unit and regression test automation, comprehensive approach to addressing NFR, adherence to standards, comprehensive Definition of Done, team retrospectives, etc.
- Using Agile metrics and tools to understand team performance and efficiency and takes actions to improve the efficiency of the team.
- Maintains up-to-date knowledge of a broad range of emerging technology trends and identifies opportunities where technology might be deployed to deliver business improvements and competitive advantage.
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science or relevant technical experience.
- 5+ years’ experience in an IT field or equivalent relevant work experience
- Experience leading IT Teams of 6+ professionals (direct and/or indirect reports)
- Understanding of Agile/Lean leadership principles; proficient in agile team development as well as awareness of team training opportunities.
- Ability to effectively coach, mentor, and identify and address skills needs and gaps
- Ability to think critically and challenge conventional thinking
Based on the focus of these agile delivery teams, knowledge and experience with one or more of the following technologies is preferred:
- Proficiency with DEVOPS, CI/CD, Test Automation, Cloud deployments and application development tools
- Experience with Agile (Scrum & Kanban) & Scaled Agile Frameworks (SAFe)
- Experience with Architectural design, development and implementation that promotes improved Customer Experiences (UX, UI and Frontend Design) and Operational Effectiveness
- Understanding end-to-end delivery with cross platform technology stacks (distributed/server and mainframes)