Crown Castle works around the country to build and maintain the infrastructure behind the world’s most revolutionary technologies. Crown Castle owns, operates and leases more than 40,000 cell towers and over 60,000 route miles of fiber supporting small cells and fiber solutions across every major US market. This nationwide portfolio of communications infrastructure connects cities and communities to essential data, technology and wireless service – bringing information, ideas and innovations to the people and businesses that need them. Crown Castle is an S&P 500 company and one of the largest Real Estate Investment Trusts in the United States with an enterprise value of approximately $60 billion.
Position Title: IT Database ETL Developer
The Database ETL/ODI Developer’s role is to strategically design, write, test and implement database extract, transform and load application software. This includes researching, designing, documenting, and modifying software specifications throughout the production life cycle. This individual must ensure high performing application code that enforces data integrity by applying ETL design best practices, query performance tuning and software error handling. S/he is also responsible for defining standards and compiling to existing standards in the development of both database applications and data integration efforts. Above all, this individual makes certain that the database design and coding solutions meet our business objectives while establishing and maintaining a high level of user trust and confidence. This individual must also demonstrate a willingness to work with and mentor associates of varying levels of technical expertise within the organization.
Essential Job Functions
- Provide first-level application support: Resolve problems and answer questions related to the database and layered products; contact vendor support when necessary; facilitate application development and customer problem resolution with optimum speed and efficiency.
- Database application performance monitoring and tuning: monitor performance of application; identify problems and implement coding solutions.
- Maintain data integrity via application coding standards and data validation.
- Install and upgrade software on PC and server utilized to develop database programs, data extraction, transformation and load applications.
- Provide database design: Research and recommend optimal table and index design criteria balancing scalability, data integrity and maintainability; publish entity relationship and data flow diagrams, design standards and work with development staff; standardize environment and improve efficiency.
- Provide database development: Develop application code using database programming languages and scriptinglanguages to support application releases; analyze business requirements for application releases and, based on findings, provide recommendations for solution and estimates of work.
- Perform application refreshes on request: Plan and coordinate data refreshes at predefined times from one environment to another at the request of the application development staff.
- Conduct research and make recommendations on new software products and new features available after software upgrades.
- Develop utilities for automatically monitoring failures in data replication processes and data integrity.
- Conduct application transaction volume impact testing.
- Adhere to departmental policies for reporting and managing trouble tickets and change control.
- Adhere to departmental security standards and best practices to ensure appropriate end-user database access control levels.
- Assist in the development and definition of database documentation and standards.
- Provide direction to and work with application development staff to develop database coding standards and best practices.
- Communicate complex and technical information in a concise and articulate manner.
- Consistently complete tasks within agreed upon target dates.
- Manage and/or provide guidance to junior members of the team.
- Attend daily production meetings while on-call and keep apprised of database trouble tickets and change requests in preparation for the meeting.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Information Science, Math or related discipline
- Master’s degree in Computer Science, Information Science or related discipline is preferred but not required
- At least five (5) years experience developing, supporting and maintaining real-time and batch data migration applications
- At least three(3) years experience developing with Oracle ODI software
- At least two(2) years experience extracting from OLTP and loading into data warehouse
- Experience administering Oracle ODI software
- Understanding of the Oracle databasearchitecture, solid theoretical knowledge of relational database techniques and data warehouse structures
- Experience with real-time data capture with a preference to GoldenGate
- Experience with a data quality tool with a preference to EDQ, Oracle Enterprise Data Quality
- Proficient Oracle PL/SQL and SQL coding skills with particular attention given to detail and accuracy
- Proficient Oracle SQL performance tuning and optimization skills
- Experience with batch job development and scheduling with a preference to Tidal
- Ability to work in a team-oriented, collaborative environment; good interpersonal skills
- Ability to weigh various suggested technical solutions against the original business needs and choose the most cost-effective solution
- Ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment
- Keen attention to detail and ability to access impact of design changes prior to implementation
- Highly self-motivated and cooperative attitude
- Strong customer service orientation
- Good written and oral communication skills
- Ability to present and explain technical information to diverse types of audiences in a way that establishes rapport and gains understanding