Responsible for the standards, design and implementation of the physical data storage, maintenance, access,security administration, performance and data integrity of assigneddatabases. Competent to work at the highest level of all phases ofdatabasemanagement.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Following is a summary of the essential functions for this job. Other duties may be performed, both major and minor, which are not mentioned below. Specific activities may change from time to time.
1. Create database schemas and sub-schemas to support the physical database model. Develop, monitor, and maintain backup and recovery for assigned databases to include the appropriate transaction logging. Direct junior team members in database creation, database backup and D/R processing.
2. Work with application programmers, data analysts, business user personnel and project managers to develop the physical database design, make recommendations and design referential integrity. Develop data and user capacity requirements, develop user access requirements, and disaster recovery requirements. Writes Structured Query Language (SQL) code, stored procedures and other data access methods based on application requirements.
3. Perform database performance monitoring and analysis and proactively implement needed adjustments, including reorganizing database structures and data. Research and/or develop utilities for monitoring and evaluating database performance.
4. Work with other technical support groups to determine appropriate disk platforms, disk configuration, operating system kernel settings and database engine configurations.
5. Work with application programmers, security administrators and network administrators to configure the appropriate user connectivity path and allocate the appropriate data security and user access roles.
6. Provide support to application programmers through analysis, recommendations and data refreshes as requested for database access and performance problems.
7. Maintain documentation of backup and recovery procedures of the physical data storage and logical data design for assigned databases.
Required Skills and Competencies:
Requires experience with patching and/or evergreening SQL Server and/or DB2.
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
1. Bachelor’s degree in Information Systems or equivalent education and related training
2. Ten to twelve years of experience, including seven years of hands-on experience performing database administration duties and one year of application or system programming experience
3. One year of experience in writing host system scripting languages such as Job Control Language (JCL), UNIX shell scripting, or NT batch
4. Highly skilled in physical database design and the development of database applications, including the ability to read logical models and create the physical database structure
5. Highly skilled in the development and maintenance of medium sized databases
6. Highly skilled in data access methods, data extraction, migration, and loading processes
7. A thorough understanding of database loading techniques and tools
8. Good written and verbal communication skills
9. Ability to work as a member of a team
10. Ability to travel as needed