JHU/APL is seeking an Information Technology Data Services Manager to establish a new service for organization-wide customers seeking better access to business and other enterprise data. This service is key in delivering data-driven capabilities including decision support, metrics, visualizations, and advanced analytics. The ideal candidate has experience with establishing a new offering from ground up; collaborating with stakeholders, establishing the road map, resource plan, and technologies needed to bring this new service to fruition over the next few years. Duties:
- Proactively build and execute the Data Access service area vision, roadmap, and execution plan with an emphasis on developing the data pipeline, reducing redundancies, and improving data reliability and quality.
- Collaborate with stakeholders across the organization to understand their needs and develop sustainable solutions that support data-driven decision making. Establish service level agreements and a method to effectively fulfill service request and set customer expectations.
- Establish the team to architect, build and support the infrastructure to provide access to data through Data Virtualization (Denodo) and Data Visualization tools (Power BI, Tableau , etc.) with emphasis on data validation and data security.
- Establish user groups, outreach and training, as well as other communication methods to educate the user community and market the capabilities of the service area.
- Develop, maintain, and enhance a data catalog to integrate with the data warehouse, data virtualization platforms, and data visualization tools for the enterprise. Partner closely with other application service managers to integrate a variety of data sources and continuously improve and expand the data catalog.
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (JHU/APL), a national leader in scientific research and development, is located midway between Baltimore and Washington, DC.
- Computer Science bachelor’s degree or equivalent years of related IT professional work experience
- 5+ years of experience with Data Management, Data Modeling, Information Retrieval, Data Analytics, Reporting and Process Analysis
- 3+ years of experience with managing IT projects or IT operations areas
- Experience working collaboratively with business users and senior-level management users to determine information needs and effective delivery methods
- Experience with traditional and emerging database technologies including data virtualization tools.
- Experience designing and developing reporting, information delivery, data visualization, and dashboard solutions.
- Excellent organizational, analytical, and problem solving skills, and the ability to balance multiple tasks with high attention to details
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills including experience writing procedures for a complex IT/engineering/technical environment, documenting complex technical solutions, and delivering technical presentations to diverse audiences
- Ability to quickly learn and apply new processes and technologies
- Master’s Degree in Information Technology or related field
- Documented Business Intelligence and Data Analytics education or certification
- Experience with Denodo
- Experience with the Microsoft BI stack or Tableau Desktop and Server
- Experience with query performance optimization