Functions as a technical expert. Collaborates with client and information technology organizations to define functional requirements and functional designs of creative solutions that will support the sales strategy and future business goals. Performs research to confirm opportunities and identify emerging solutions that could be applied to drive improvement. Contributes to updating multi-year technology roadmaps for clients. Supports IT Architecture & Development organization in clarifying functional requirements and functional design during development of solution.
Education and Experience
- 3 years' experience in information technology application design or development
- Undergraduate degree or equivalent experience/certification
- Skilled at converting business needs into technology requirements and working within IT to manage the execution of projects
- Demonstrated ability to assess customer/client needs, creatively approach solutions, and decide and influence appropriate courses of action
- Experience identifying and analyzing alternative solutions to complex business requirements and providing guidance and advice
- Strong communication skills, including experience facilitating requirements analysis and functional design working sessions
- Experience completing information technology cost/resource estimates to implement and support solutions
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and with others
- Excellent analytical skills where problems are very unusual and extremely difficult
- Experience with business process re-engineering
- Demonstrated knowledge of supported discipline
- Strong process management, negotiating, influencing, and problem resolution skills
- Broad technical experience across technical components including infrastructure, network, applications, data, and information security
- Familiarity with Marriott's existing information architecture, application portfolio, and information management methodology
- Knowledge of emerging technologies, including those new to the Marriott environment as well as those that are new to the information systems industry
CORE WORK ACTIVITIES
- Participates and may facilitate business requirements analysis and functional design work sessions including creating business presentations, communications, and documentation
- Contributes to functional design including demonstrations to stakeholders to validate approach
- Identifies creative solutions to business requirements, analyzes the strengths and weaknesses of alternatives, and provides recommendations
- Works with external vendors and analogous companies to obtain additional insights, approaches, and demonstrations of solutions
- Collaborates with the client organization including business analysts in the client organizations
- Documents functional, integration, and testing requirements as well as SLAs and operating level agreements
- Works with the IT Architecture & Development organization during development to clarify functional requirements and functional design
- Provides inputs and updates to multi-year technology roadmaps
- Provides input to training and field support groups as appropriate before new releases go-live
- Identifies opportunities to enhance the business partnership and planning processes
- Trains and/or mentors other team members, and peers as appropriate
- Follows all defined technology standards and processes (i.e. IT Governance, SM&G, Architecture, etc.), and provides input for improvements to the appropriate process owners as needed
- Participates in technical evaluation process when assessing additions or changes to defined technology standards
- Communication - Conveys information and ideas to others in a convincing and engaging manner through a variety of methods.
- Problem Solving and Decision Making - Identifies and understands issues, problems, and opportunities; obtains and compares information from different sources to draw conclusions, develops and evaluates alternatives and solutions, solves problems, and chooses a course of action.
- Professional Demeanor - Exhibits behavioral styles that convey confidence and command respect from others; makes a good first impression and represents the company in alignment with its values.
- Building and contribution to Teams – Participates as a member of a team to move towards the completion of common goals while fostering cohesion and collaboration amongst team members.
- Driving for Results - Sets high standards of performance for self and/or others; assumes responsibility for work objectives; initiates, focuses, and monitors the efforts of self and/or others toward the accomplishment goals; proactively takes action and goes beyond what is required.
- Planning and Organization – Gathers information and resources required to set a plan of action for self and/or others; prioritizes and arranges work requirements to accomplish goals and ensure work is completed.
- Coworker Relationships – Interacts with others in a way that builds openness and confidence in the pursuit of organizational goals and lasting relationships
- Customer Relationships - Develops and sustains relationships based on an understanding of customer/stakeholder needs and actions consistent with the company's service standards.
- Global Mindset - Supports employees and business partners with diverse styles, abilities, motivations, and/or cultural perspectives; utilizes differences to drive innovation, engagement and enhance business results; and ensures employees are given the opportunity to contribute to their full potential.
Generating Talent and Organizational Capability
- Talent Management – Provides support and feedback to help individuals develop and strengthen skill and abilities needed to accomplish work objectives.
- Organizational Capability - Evaluates and adapts the structure of assignments and work processes to best fit the needs and/or support the goals of an organizational unit.
Learning and Applying Professional Expertise
- Continuous Learning - Actively identifies new areas for learning; regularly creates and takes advantage of learning opportunities; uses newly gained knowledge and skill on the job and learns through their application.
- Technical Acumen – Expertly understands and utilizes professional skills and knowledge in a specific functional area to conduct and manage everyday business operations, generate innovative solutions to approach function-specific work challenges, and function as a thought leader in his or her area of expertise.
- Business Acumen - Understands and utilizes business information to manage everyday operations and generate innovative solutions to approach business and administrative challenges.
- Basic Competencies - Fundamental competencies required for accomplishing basic work activities.
- Basic Computer Skills - Uses basic computer hardware and software (e.g., personal computers, word processing software, Internet browsers, etc.).
- Mathematical Reasoning - Adds, subtracts, multiplies, or divides quickly, correctly, and in a way that allows one to solve work-related issues.
- Oral Comprehension - Listens to and understands information and ideas presented through spoken words and sentences.
- Reading Comprehension - Understands written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Writing - Communicates effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.