IT Architect II - Big Data Technologies
5 - 7 years experience • Financial Services
Building a World-Class, Diverse and Inclusive Technology Team at TD
We can’t afford to be boring. Neither can you. The scale and scope of what TD does may surprise you. The rapid pace of change makes it a business imperative for us to be smart and open-minded in the way we think about technology.
TD’s technology and business teams become more intertwined as new opportunities present themselves. This new era in banking does not equal boring. Not at TD, anyway.
TD IT Architecture covers TD’s overall technology strategy, direction, standards for designing and/or developing an architecture framework including technology architecture strategy, policies, guiding principles and standards to govern how technology solutions will be developed and implemented across the organization.
Architects typically develop and maintain any combination of the following: solution and application architecture, infrastructure environment architecture, technical integration architecture, data strategies and models, security and enterprise architecture.
The Enterprise Data Architecture team at TD is accountable for defining and establishing the data architecture used across the TD Enterprise for driving business intelligence, analytics, warehousing, reporting, and data integration. The team governs and oversees all data architecture across all lines of business in the TD Bank Group across US and Canada.
The team has a focus on several key domains – Big Data Technologies, Sophisticated Analytics, Machine Learning and Insights along with standardized and commoditized Business Intelligence, Data Warehousing and Reporting.
The team defines and sets architectural standards for key technologies and platforms that are used by the broader solution architecture community to deliver consistent designs more quickly. The team also does architecture governance and provides technology direction for a large number of project teams with staff located in seven TD locations (Toronto, Mississauga, London, Montreal, Maine and South Carolina) that are in turn supporting all technology spending for data-centric solutions. The mission is to maximize business value by balancing strategic architectural plans with speed of delivery and leveraging shared infrastructure services and delivering solutions which drive systemic business advantage.
There’s room to grow in all of it.
About This Role
We are looking for someone to develop and maintain architecture frameworks to support the most efficient, reliable, scalable and secure options to meet TD’s business and technology strategy needs. Get ready to plan, evaluate, recommend and design architectural solutions while keeping within enterprise standards.
It’s your chance to participate in a whole new realm of learning and share what you know with others. The meaningful work involved here is all about protecting and enhancing security, technology availability, brand integrity and shareholder value.
The IT Architect will develop efficient, reliable, scalable, and secure solutions to meet the business needs and technology strategy to ingest data into the Hadoop Platform and extract datasets from the Hadoop platform. Thisinvolves a solid understanding of solutions architecture for integration with Hadoop platforms and general understanding of the tooling and emerging technologies.
This includes planning, evaluating, recommending and designing the solutions using tooling and capabilities of the Hadoop platform to ensure that technology projects are cost effective, compliant with enterprise standards and aligned with business and technology strategies under the guidance of Senior Architects.
Knowledge of the following areas would be an asset:
- Big DataTechnologies
- Hadoop Platform
- SQOOP, Flume and related technologies
- MapReduce, Pig, Hive and emerging technologies
- ETL, ELT and related design patterns
- Integration Platforms and emerging tooling
- Familiarity with Enterprise Data Models
Accountabilities include but are not limited to:
- Preparing architectureBlueprints, Position papers and conducting market research on emerging technologies.
- Research/analyze business requirements and recommend optimal solutions within technologyarchitecture.
- Apply industry/technical knowledge to provide solutions that increase business results and/or minimize risk.
- Identify, recommend, source, negotiate and implement emerging IT trends, developments and improvements/solutions (buy/build/reuse).
- Support the development of Business and Technology Roadmaps and associated plans
What can you bring to TD? Share your credentials, but your relevant experience and knowledge can be just as likely to get our attention.
This position requires a good understanding of Big Data Architecture and related work experience covering, but not limited to:
- University or post-graduate degree; the ideal candidate will have a strong academic background (e.g., computer science, engineering)
- 5+ years of Solution Architecture for large organizations covering data integration, data marts , analytics, reporting and data-visualization
- 5+ years of experience in a development area with hands on expertise in software development in various technology types (J2EE, .NET, etc.)
- 2+ years of experience with related/complementary open source software platforms and languages (e.g. Java, Python, R)
- 2+ years of experience in the support of applications or infrastructure
- Good understanding of Industry Data Models
- Full understanding of the Hadoop Ecosystem
- Knowledge of the Hadoop stack (e.g. MapReduce, Spark, Sqoop, Pig, Hive and emerging technologies)
- Contribute to meeting key project milestones and overall project deliverables on time, within budget, and adhering to relevant standards
- Develop/maintain a proficient knowledge of system development methodologies, key business initiatives / issues, IT implications for systems or technologies and their impact on business solutions
- Able to multi-task in a very dynamic environment
- Build effective relationships with peers across the organization
Join in on what others in TD Technology Solutions are doing:
The Skills Category for this position includes:
- Big DataArchitecture
- Integration Architecture
- Data Architecture
- Solution Architecture
The following capabilities are expected:
- Able to manage effectively in a highly matrixed environment
- Capable of grasping and challenging low level technical assumptions
- Comfortable with exploring emerging tools and technologies in Big Data
- Strong communicator: excellent oral, written and presentation skills