This IT Applications Manager is accountable for Systems Analyst and Quality Assurance Analyst teams. They will be accountable for supporting the team on projects, maintenance, support and/or enhancement of a set of Symetra applications that support critical business functions for policy administration systems. The Manager is also responsible for staff management, on-time and on-budget delivery, quality and availability of applications and services.
- Provides leadership and challenges others to develop as leaders while serving as a technical role model and inspiring coworkers to attain goals and pursue excellence
- Understands the technologies used by the team and provides technical direction to the development team
- Identify opportunities for improvement and makes constructive suggestions for change while managing the process of innovative change effectively and remaining on the forefront of emerging industry practices
- Works closely with stakeholders to understand and communicate business needs and priorities
- Supports the aligned Director in creating and maintaining the applications roadmap and strategic vision
- Work with others in management to understand project and business priorities and schedule work with development staff based on those priorities.
- Constantly improve the development processes, tools and methodologies used in the development group
- Manage technical resources within budget and project schedules
- Review work of delivery team and suggest skill needs and staffing changes to anticipate and respond to current and future technical and project demand.
- Facilitate effective team interaction by acknowledging and appreciating each team member's contributions; effectively utilizing each team member to his/her fullest potential and keeping track of lessons learned and shares those lessons with team members.
- Provides guidance and direction to team members on system issues, new systems development, software evaluations, business process design, and enhancement of existing systems.
- Ability to influence both business and technical peers and leaders.
- Easily recognize work product deficiencies and implement effective solutions
- Ensure teams document their work and provide thorough status reports
- Conduct effective performance evaluations and mentor delivery team through formal and informal channels
- Build staffing plans, interview, assess technical talent, and hire qualified staff
- Provide input for departmental budgets and work to manage operational and capital expenses in order to meet budget.
- Establishes and maintains collaborative relationships with business partners, users, peers in IT, and vendors.
- Understands the demand and requirements needed to provide highly available applications.
- Ensures that project teams, customers, business partners, and other stakeholders receive accurate and timely system information through formal and informal channels (e.g., advanced notification of scheduled maintenance and unplanned outages).
- Communicate effectively with clients to identify needs and evaluate alternative technical solutions while continually seeking opportunities to increase customer satisfaction and deepen client relationships
- Manage client interaction and expectations regarding delivery efforts while developing lasting relationships with client personnel that foster client ties
- Have previous experience as Software developer or have played an active role as a Tech lead / manager along with collaborative relationships with non IT partners.
- Understands the technical side of the product / project management provide oversight for highly available applications.
- Act as liaison between technical teams and business and should be able to speak efficiently on tech issues and roll up sleeves when needed
Job Requirements Education and work experience:
- BS degree in a technical field. BS/MS in Computer Science or Engineering or equivalent experience.
- 2-4 years of industry experience.
- Demonstrated work experience as a lead or manager or similar experience with a small technical team.
- 5+ years of strong project management and analysis background, PMP certification preferred.
- Experience in building and leading technical teams is a bonus.
- Strong initiative and sense of urgency to get things done
Knowledge and skills:
- Analytical skills and experience to discern the advantages and disadvantages of technology innovations and options to make recommendations and justify decisions
- Proven ability to grasp technologies and concepts
- Need strong understanding of application integration issues.
- Strong understanding of technical development environments
- Strong understanding of software development methodologies, specifically Systems Analysis and Quality Assurance Analysis
- Need to be "hands-on", detail oriented technical individual (not high level)
- Need to think "broad", but also the ability to do "deep dives" and pull information together
- Understand application support processes/issues
- Mainframe experience a plus and willing to work on mainframe technology (COBOL, DB2 and VSAM files