The Alliant Energy Information Technology organization has a rewarding opportunity available for an experienced Data Modeler / Senior Data Warehouse IT Developer to join our Business Intelligence and Data Warehousing team.
You will help Alliant Energy to enhance its data capabilities by conducting research and applying subject matter expertise to analyze, design, implement and support our business’s reporting and analytical data needs. You will draw upon your knowledge and experience in applied statistics, data profiling, mining and modeling, while collaborating with IT and business unit customers. You will have the opportunity to learn and work with a variety of tools and platforms as you use these skills to create new data warehousing solutions.
In joining this talented team of experienced IT professionals, you will be a part of an innovative and collaborative team that partners and coordinates with our business partners, other IT analysts, enterprise architects, project consultants, and external vendors. As a Data Modeler and Developer for the Department of Information Technology, the focus of your work is to establish and maintain a high level of user trust and data confidence as a liaison between Information Technology and our various lines of business.
- This position is based in one of the following locations: Cedar Rapids, IA; Madison, WI; OR Dubuque, IA.
- We have the flexibility to fill the position as an Analyst II or Sr. Analyst based on the candidate’s experience.
- Alliant Energy will not provide sponsorship for an employment visa (e.g., H-1B visa) now or in the future for this position.
- Following general instructions, ensures critical review points and quality assurance controls are included in all data warehousing and business intelligence projects.
- Develops cost estimates associated with recommended data warehousing and business intelligence technologies including data models, data marts, OLAP modeling, analytical and operational reporting, and data queries.
- Assists in defining application requirements and participates in workshops, data and process modeling, and prototyping sessions.
- Assists in ensuring business and technical needs and opportunities are identified and satisfied throughout design, development, and implementation efforts. May plan agendas and facilitate meetings of medium complexity.
- Assists in the gathering and analysis of information required for technical design, including the identification and evaluation of purchased package solutions that will be accessed and integrated into the data warehouse.
- Works with data/database administration functions to ensure proper design of system databases and appropriate integration with other corporate data. Assists with analyzing information and business process flows to integrate new applications with existing applications.
- Performs testing for moderately complex systems, and assists other analysts in testing complex systems. Helps develop critical measures to test function and system performance improvements.
- Assists business team in identifying training requirements to support application and other information technology use.
- Works closely with other teams to define and design data warehousing and reporting services. Participates on project teams and works closely with other analysts to assure design follows standard procedures.
- May interact with security and infrastructure areas to recommend appropriate security and control factors and infrastructure requirements for applications.
Education and Experience Requirements
- Bachelor's Degree in Information Technology
- 3 years of experience in application development, and experience with data warehousing and business intelligence tools.
- If no degree, 7 years of related experience is required.
- Bachelor's Degree in Information Technology
- 5 years of experience in application development, and 3 years of experience in data warehousing or business intelligence tools reporting
- If no degree, 9 years of related experience is required.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Demonstrated knowledge of concepts of information technology, standard application development methods, and relational database technology.
- A solid understanding of enterprise data warehousing and business intelligence tools; knowledge of Informatica or Cognos Framework Manager and Transformer preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to implement standard analysis, programming, and testing techniques across the development life cycle of systems.
- Ability to determine the use of appropriate current information processing technology, applies logical reasoning to moderately complex situations, and analyze problems of a moderately complex nature and derives workable solutions.
- Advanced ability to develop and maintain business applications using application development tools as defined.
- Demonstrated ability to use computer software programs (e.g., e-mail, word processing, spreadsheet, and project management).
- Demonstrated effective interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills.
- Ability to work effectively in a diverse work environment.