To provide technical support for network and/or server infrastructure. To provide administration, assessment, testing and troubleshooting of primary and/or secondary system(s).
The Systems Engineer is responsible for the planning and engineering of the organization's systems infrastructure. Responsibilities include:
- The design and implementation of hardware and software
- Manages or consults on complex projects as the top level contributor/specialist
- Provides direction and leadership to the Systems Administrators and Analysts
- Works closely with other technical resources such as Database Administrators, Integrators, and applications technical support personnel
- May be responsible for scheduling the Systems Administration resources
- May be responsible for monitoring selected project schedules
- demonstrates expertise in a variety of concepts, practices, and procedures relating to the field of Information Technology.
- relies on extensive experience and judgment to plan and accomplish assigned objectives.
- A wide degree of creativity and latitude is expected in this position.
The Systems Engineer reports to the Manager of Systems Engineering.
This role is regarded as a technical expert responsible for representing ITS in project discussions at their early conception. Specifically, The Systems Engineer will work with the various business units’ representatives at the hospital and will gather their requirements for new upcoming initiatives and will translate those requirements into technical solutions. These solutions must meet the objectives of the business while ensuring compliance with ITS standards of security and manageability.
The Systems Engineer will be an active member of the IT Change Advisory Board, the IT Configuration Control Board, and the IT Incident Review Board.
- Assists in staff development and training by conducting training sessions as directed and providing documentation concerning supported equipment and software.
- Assists other groups in IT department in the installation and implementation of end user solutions.
- Gives input to management on possible recommendations or solutions to user requests.
- Defines requirements and develops comprehensive plan for business solutions.
- Effectively prioritizes assignments.
- Escalates issues to senior personnel when needed.
- Ensures appropriate project management tasks are completed and documented. - Interacts with management throughout the organization in planning and developing technology services.
- Leads the development of training materials including schedules, handouts, documentation and classroom plans.
- Maintains up-to-date documentation of assigned environments.
- Participates in the strategic planning process of the Network Service lines.
- Tracks tasks to completion according to work plans.
- Assist with the development and mentoring of all Systems Administrators and Analysts staff.
- Lead or participate in multiple projects in accordance with institutional and departmental goals.
- Coordinate the overall design and deployment of the technical environment, including servers, brokers, portals, operating systems, and middleware.
- Oversee and participate in the ongoing maintenance of the server environment as well as all related infrastructure.
- Participate in the development of schedules, priorities, and determination of time lines and resources.
- Ensure the efficient and effective use of storage resources, as well as the effective integration of storage management processes with other service delivery processes.
- Create and maintain the architecture for event management and monitoring in the enterprise.
- Develop and maintain a server recovery plan for all systems to include both a regular backup schedule and tested process for data restoration.
- Help all departments in assuring that the highest level of customer satisfaction is maintained at all times.
- Maintain the highest level of integrity and professionalism in the system administration department.
- Assist in developing ways to reduce the amount of incoming technical support requests.
- Ability to lift 50 lbs
- Gross motor function; both hand, both feet
- Fine motor function; both hands
- Ability to bend, squat, reach, lift, carry, push, pull
- Bachelor’s degree in IT related field preferred and a minimum of 2 years’ experience
- Work experience may substitute for minimum education requirement
- Expertise in Microsoft Active Directory
- Strong interdisciplinary skills; Microsoft platforms, VMware, Citrix, storage, backup, etc.
- A broad and deep understanding of information technologies and how to leverage them as solutions to business requirements
- Ability to conduct research into server and operating system issues, standards and products.
- Demonstrated experience, knowledge and understanding of production environments.
- Skills and discipline to keep systems patched, monitored and performing optimally.
- Knowledge of data storage, backup and recovery best practices.
- Knowledge of software configuration management is a plus.
- Ability to work both independently and within a team environment.
- Analytical and problem-solving capabilities.
- Ability to prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment.
- Strong customer-service orientation.
- Good judgment, integrity and confidentiality.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to appropriately handle stressful situations, critical deadlines, and a customer base with both high service level expectations and technical sophistication.
- Availability to work nights and weekends during (un)planned outages and other special circumstances, with 24/7 accountability.
- Availability to respond to severe incident escalation by on-call manager.
- Healthcareexperience desirable
- Ability to maintain records and filing systems
- Ability to multi-task
- Ability to work independently
- Process improvement and quality skills
- Project management skills
- Attends all mandatory education and training programs (including department specific) and can describe his/her responsibilities related to general safety and regulatory compliance as well as department safety and specific job-related hazards.
- Maintains all required CEUs for certifications and licensure.
- Follows the hospital exposure control plans/bloodborne and airborne pathogens.
- Attire is professional, neat, clean, and appropriate for the work environment, according to the HHC and/or Department Appearance Policy and a high standard of personal cleanliness is maintained.
- Reports to work on time and meets acceptable standard for attendance, based upon the department attendance policy.