The Backup and Storage Administrator is responsible for administering and maintaining all backup systems for the enterprise including long-term data archive management, backup management with disk/physical tape systems and disaster recovery testing. Secondary responsibilities require working along with the Storage Team in planning, allocating storage, managing storage layouts, planning connectivity, performance tuning.
Schedule: (Full time, Benefits Eligible)
Near East Office Building
431 S. 18th Street
Columbus, Ohio 43205
Why Nationwide Children's Hospital?
The moment you walk through our doors, you can feel it. When you meet one of our patient families, you believe it. And when you talk with anyone who works here, you want to be part of it, too. Welcome to Nationwide Children’s Hospital, where Passion Meets Purpose.
Here, Everyone Matters. We’re 12,000 strong. And it takes every single one of us to improve the lives of the kids we care for, and the kids from around the world we’ll never even meet. Kids who are living healthier, fuller lives because of the knowledge we share. We know it takes a Collaborative Culture to deliver on our promise to provide the very best, innovative care and to foster new discoveries, made possible by the most groundbreaking research. Anywhere.
Ask anyone with a Nationwide Children’s badge what they do for a living. They’ll tell you it’s More Than a Job. It’s a calling. It’s a chance to use and grow your talent to make an impact that truly matters. Because here, we exist simply to help children everywhere.
Nationwide Children’s Hospital. A Place to Be Proud
- Configure and manage the NCH enterprise CommVault backup and archive systems.
- Work with business and other IS staff to architect backup and recovery strategies to meet RTO/RPO requirements for new and existing systems.
- Administer backup system on a daily basis to ensure backups are successful and consistent. Troubleshoot issues promptly and escalate as needed.
- Provide front line operational support and administration of the NCH network attached storage (NAS) and block storage infrastructure including NetApp, Pure Storage, associated backup/archive solutions, local/remote replication and SAN infrastructure (Cisco MDS).
- Collaborate with other team members and IS teams to facilitate the development and maintenance of policies and detailed documentation to ensure existing capacity is utilized as efficiently as possible.
- Participate in the RFP processes as new technologies are evaluated and implement into the environment.
- Ensure data recovery, maintenance, data integrity and space requirements are met across a variety of platforms and work with application owners, DBAs, and analysts to review, remediate, and implement changes.
- Ensures that capacity workload modeling and availability analysis is performed for a variety of platforms.
- Collaborate with other team members to develop, track, and manage each of the ITIL process implementations (configuration management, Service Desk, problem management, change management, release management, service level management, financial management, availability management, capacity management, service continuity management) as they relate to the scope of storage / capacity planning administration.
- Monitor, take ownership, and complete tasks and projects assigned via ticketing/ITSM management.
- Provide storage reports on utilization and consumption including historical trending.
- Work with IS teams to assist in determining the best solutions for integrating storage and backup with MS Windows, Linux, Vmware, AIX, AIX VIO, Oracle, SQL, NAS (CIFS and NFS), and others environments.
- IS Operational Support
- Utilizes IS Operational support to include Support Center, Change Control, Problem Management and PMO technologies in day to day work.
- Build and maintain vendor relationships to ensure products meet the business needs and objectives of the Hospital.
- Works to minimize network storage downtime and the effects of downtime on Hospital users by scheduling needed maintenance or upgrades to provide minimal disruption of service to users, proactively monitor and analyze system performance to detect and resolve production system issues, and perform stringent system testing before implementing solutions.
- Provides fiscal responsibility for the use of Hospital resources by designing, implementing, and maintaining solutions to best utilize those resources in their area of responsibility.
- On Call Support for storage and backup environments.
- Provide system recovery documentation for failover testing at DR location
- Information Assurance
- Knowledgeable of and adheres to Nationwide Children’s Hospital policies, processes, procedures, standards, and guidelines governing privacy, security, and disaster recovery/business continuity.
- Actively protects sensitive, classified, and confidential information.
- Uses and accesses PC system support tools and information only for authorized purposes and in accordance with security procedures and guidelines to perform job duties as assigned.
- Maintains individual accountability for security controls and measures (e.g., individual passwords are not shared with other users).
- Reports suspected security and/or privacy incidents following established procedures.
- Develops, implements, and/or modifies user support following IS Information Assurance policies, processes, procedures, and guidelines and industry standards to address security, privacy, and disaster recovery/business continuity needs to protect Nationwide Children’s Hospital information and resources at established, defined levels.
- Teamwork, Collaboration, and Professionalism
- Works with other IS staff in functional or cross-functional teams to meet goals, objectives, and responsibilities
- Maintains a professional demeanor in conducting job duties and accepts accountability for their performance.
- Fosters a team atmosphere within IS and other Hospital departments by interacting with others in an honest and straightforward manner, listening to and valuing the opinions and ideas of others, sharing knowledge, and helping others to accomplish goals.
- Develops and maintains technical and professional skill levels including technical certifications and ongoing skills training.
- Provide training to other IS staff members in areas of specialty
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Management Information Sciences, or related technical field. Technical degree in associated area or equivalent experience required.
- Expert knowledge of administering enterprise backup systems. 2+ years of CommVault experience preferred.
- Experience supporting enterprise Storage Area Networks (SAN), Network Attached Storage (NAS) and Backup/Restore technology in a mission critical environment.
- 5-8 years of scalable IT Experience including being responsible for infrastructure / operations support and projects in multiplatform environments.
- Industry certification preferred, i.e. NetApp Certified Technology Associate, NetApp Certified Data Administrator, ONTAP, CommVault Certified Professional/Engineer.
- Proficiency in oral and written communication, including the ability to communicate technical information to clients and internal Hospital department end users.
- Knowledge of Windows and UNIX operating systems
Minimum Physical Requirement:
- Position requires ability to talk, listen and type.
- Position requires the ability to work in tight spaces that can be above 90 degrees in temperature.
- Position requires the ability to carry, lift and place network equipment.
- Position requires the ability to interact effectively with customers and information services personnel across the organization.