We are looking for a Data Engineer to join our growing team of analytics experts. The hire will be responsible for expanding and optimizing our data warehouse and building data integrations, developing data best practices and governance, performing clinical and administrative reporting and data visualization, as well as optimizing data flow and collection for cross functional teams.
The ideal candidate has been exposed to all aspects of data from multiple complex sources who enjoys optimizing data systems and building them from the ground up. The Data Engineer II will support our developers, database architects, data analysts and data scientists ensuring optimal data delivery architecture is consistent throughout ongoing projects. They will also support non-technical colleagues in the collection and appropriate use of clinical and non-clinical data. They must be self-directed and comfortable supporting the data needs of multiple teams, systems and products. The right candidate will be excited by the prospect of optimizing or even re-designing our company’s data architecture to support our next generation of products and data initiatives.
- Exhibits the ability to assist in client requirements assessment, solution set designs, coding, testing and implementation.
- Demonstrates advanced SQL knowledge, relational and multidimensional models, and business intelligence delivery tools.
- Demonstrates the ability to modify existing architecture to solve complex problems.
- Recommends and establishes conventions and standards for all technical areas related to data storage, transformation and aggregations.
- Participates in selection of new technologies, and consults on requirements.
- Acts as a technical escalation point or SME for a particular aspect of the environment, assisting with complex problems and solutions.
- Has an advanced understanding of technical environment and integration points, including all software, hardware, and supporting environments.
- Demonstrates basic knowledge of project management concepts and may act as an implementation lead for department initiatives.
- Demonstrates the ability in creating detailed documentation, including project plans, requirements status reports and operations documentation.
- Exhibits ability to clearly articulate problems, issues, requirements and potential solutions to team members and clients.
- Works with analysts to identify and understand source data systems
- Demonstrates the ability to serve as a resource to cross- functional work teams
- Exhibits the ability to guide associate Information Architects and provide teaching support to clients, Operations, and Help Desk as needed.
- Knowledgeable in Research Administration (Finance, Pre/Post Award, Compliance) workflow including Project Accounting, Time & Effort & supported technologies
A Data Engineer II is a mid-level individual contributor and may be involved in some leadership activities. A Data Engineer II also:
- Meets with clients and IS personnel to determine and define specific analytical and technical systems information requirements, objectives and solution sets for maintenance or application enhancement requests of moderate complexity.
- Develops data models that describe processes and data flows related to applications of simple to moderate complexity.
- Identifies and resolves interface issues between applications from the same vendor or between two applications of different vendors.
- Prepares supporting documentation and specifications for BI application changes or replacements with assistance from senior staff.
- Assists with gathering and codifying appropriate user, system, or application requirements.
- In a rapid development environment, manages scope, implementation teams, change management, and issues related to product Data Warehouse and BI products.
- Acts as a product owner, interfacing with all levels of the organization to define product scope and requirements.
- Monitors planned tasks; identifies and reports changes; reports status of project to Lead IS staff and/or IS Manager.
- Acts as change agent to assist and support clients' transition from old to new solution set.
- Assists with project evaluation and/or installation, testing and support.
- Reports project issues and staff performance issues to Lead IS staff and/or IS Manager.
- Performs technical development and may lead technical development teams.
- Under limited supervision, modifies existing or creates new code to meet specific user, system, or application requirements.
- Prepares conversion plans for moderate level applications implementations.
- Provides guidance to associate Information Architects.
- Provides teaching support to team members, clients, Operations, and Help Desk as needed.
Job Responsibilities (Continued)
Job Responsibilities (Continued)
Required Licenses, Certifications, Registrations
One (1) Certifications or proficiency in appropriate Data Science/Data Integration/Data Warehousing technology or subject domain.
Required Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Computer/Software Engineering, Information Technology, Data Science or related fields.
- Minimum of four (4) years of Data Engineering/Business Intelligence/Data Warehousing experience, preferably in a healthcare, research, and/or Research Administration environment.
- Experience with data relating to compliance, project accounting, IRB, ServiceNow Ticketing or clinical trials desirable.
- Experience performing root cause analysis on internal and external data and processes to answer specific business questions and identify opportunities for improvement.
- Experience supporting and working with cross-functional teams in a dynamic environment.
- Working knowledge of message queuing, stream processing, and highly scalable data stores.
- Previous experience manipulating, processing and extracting value from large disconnected datasets.
Preferred Education, Experience & Cert/Lic
- Advanced Degree in Computer Science, Informatics, Information Systems or another quantitative field.
- Minimum of six (6) years of experience in a Data Engineer role
Additional Technical Requirements
- Experience in the development or implementation of structured operational processes, conformance with SLAs, and metrics based reporting.
- Intermediate knowledge in Change Control Mgt. processes
- Experience with process documentation and communication tools including MS Word, Project, Excel, Visio and PowerPoint.
Moderate to advanced experience and proven use of one or more of the subject areas listed below:
SQL and Database Knowledge – Understanding SQL, Relational and Multidemensional Databases and Designs
- Knowledge of relational database structures (tables, data types, data model schemas), SQL Syntax & SQL Functions, develop Views and SQL Optimization
- Cube dimensions (creating/maintaining translations, attribute relations, hierarchies)
- Dimension usage: reference dimensions, many to many relationships, fact relationships, role-playing relationships granularity
- Creating and maintaining data source views and reporting models
- Hypothesis development, design test/experiments, & developing actionable recommendations
- Statistical modeling techniques (logistic regression, log linear regression, etc...)
Advanced experience and proven use of one or more of the subject areas listed below:
- Tableau (Preferred), Qliksense, Power PI, or any other data visualization application.
- Data Warehouse Support and Design
- Creating/Maintaining Tables, views, & indexes