This is an opportunity to be part of a world-class team at the nexus of two of the most exciting developments in energy today – big, real-time data and energy storage.
Stem creates innovative technology services that transform the way energy is distributed and consumed. Stem’s mission is to build and operate the largest digitally-connected energy storage network for our customers. Our world-class analytics will optimize the value of customer’s energy assets and facilitate their participation in energy markets, yielding economic and societal benefits while decarbonizing the grid. We create automated, price-responsive systems that enable C&I customers to predict and control electricity costs and capture savings in a rapidly-evolving utility landscape. The Stem system combines predictive analytics and advanced energy storage with a high-fidelity software user interface. By buffering spikes in energy usage, Stem also reduces the impact of the C&I customer on the utility grid and enables better grid citizenship. Through innovation in technology and financing, our goal is to optimize the relationships between energy providers and consumers.
The IoT Operations Team Lead reports to the Director, Network Operations and is a key member of a small, dedicated team that runs Stem’s IoT Operations Center (IOC) which:
- Provisions, commissions, validates and approves energy storage systems for commercial operation, and
- Performs remote analysis, classification and documentation of system incidents and outages as they occur across Stem’s active IoT network of energy storage systems.
- Troubleshoots and resolves incidents if possible, dispositions the incidents for field service, or escalates complex or design-based issues to systems engineering or product development teams.
The IoT Operations Team Lead will perform all these functions at the highest level. Required skills include the ability to prioritize remediation of issues in a 24 x 7 environment with critical uptime requirements, extensive networking skills, knowledge of network devices and servers, remote troubleshooting of energy storage systems equipment, and experience with service desk ticketing systems, database queries and reporting tools.
The IoT Operations Team Lead is also responsible for managing the IOC Team day-to-day by allocating resources as needed, driving IOC KPIs, leading process improvements, supporting infrastructure developments, training new IOC Team personnel and being the primary IOC representative to the rest of Stem.
- Manage and contribute to the day-to-day IOC Team workflow in a 24x7 operational environment with high uptime requirements. Varied shift schedules may include day, evening and/or weekend hours.
- Manage IOC Team support of multiple field service teams
- Coordinate management of grid service events
- Coordinate with the Director, Network Operations to assign team resources and execute on new initiatives and/or special projects.
- Recognize, identify and prioritize incidents in accordance with customer business requirements, organizational policies and operational impact. Ensure timely response to all incidents, outages and performance alerts to continuously improve operational efficiency.
- Monitor and troubleshoot a wide variety of information and network systems that include, but are not limited to telecommunications circuits, LAN/WAN systems, firewalls, IoT systems, operating systems, and energy storage management systems.
- Understand physical operation of energy storage systems to identify, troubleshoot and execute/delegate resolutions of faults and performance issues.
- Notify field service, customer operations, and third-party service providers of issues, outages and remediation status.
- Coordinate with field technicians in real time during installation and operational issue resolution.
- Document all actions in accordance with standard company policies and procedures; manage development of new policies and procedures as necessary.
- Coordinate with otherNetwork Operations resources on alert/alarm automation development and IOC tool improvement projects.
- Work with internal and external technical and service teams to support both temporary and permanent solutions to system issues, and to create and/or update knowledge base articles.
- Other duties as assigned
- Fluency in key network monitoring fundamentals including packet flows for RS485 (serial) and TCP communications; DHCP/Static, DNS, TCP/IP protocols; and router/switch configuration and IP address planning.
- Knowledge of server operating systems and network devices
- Experience providing remote IoT hardware support using virtual desktop tools
- Strongly preferredexperience with energy management systems, energy storage systems, and/or building management/electrical equipment systems
- Able to think creatively to resolve problems in ambiguous situations
- Excellent written, verbal and interpersonal skills
- Strong customer and supplier communication skills, with the ability to communicate clearly with customers and technical personnel in high-stress situations
- Broad experience using a variety of monitoring and ticket management tools
- Experience with large sets of data and data analysis
- Analyzing time series energy load data
- Preferredexperience with Jira, Confluence, Tableau, Plotly, SQL, Python, Linux/ command line, Big Data visualization, relational databases
- Requires MSdegree from an accredited college or university in Engineering, Mathematics, Statistics, Computer Science, or Physics.
- 4-6 years of experience supporting and monitoring network systems in an enterprise environment.
- Previous IoT operations/IOC experience is required.
- Knowledge of energy storage system industry or renewables is preferred.