You’ll have an opportunity to contribute to the evolution of our end-to-end release management processes and tooling that may expand to the larger suite of The New York Times’ native applications.
What You’ll Do
- News App Release Manager
- Run iOS and Android release management for our News apps.
- Support distributed development across 9 front-end feature teams that contribute to our news apps. The environment is fluid and you will be negotiating competing priorities.
- Be the point of contact for manual and automated regression QA, including offshore.
- Certify releases as ready throughout all stages of the process.
- Own release schedule communication and documentation.
- Advocate for tools to make it easier for teams to release and implement automated testing.
- Advocate for Release Management across The Times
- Contribute to establishing best practices in tooling and processes for release management across The Times.
- Contribute to upleveling and standardizing release management processes and tooling across the suite of NYTimes applications including: Crossword, Cooking, Chinese News, and more.
- Application Platforms Team Co-lead
- Leadership: You’ll work closely with the product and engineering leads of the App Platforms team to ensure it is productive and facilitates effective distributed development of the News Apps.
- PMO Support: As the PMO representative with App Platforms, you’ll help facilitate the bi-annual planning cycle, conduct team health checks, and escalate challenges to cross-functional leadership.
- Project Leadership: You’ll act as an owner and leader who will drive and deliver Release Management projects.
- After a month on the job, you:
- Have shadowed at least one release of the iOS and Android news apps.
- Have gained basic familiarity with The Times and our mission-based organizational structure.
- Establishing relationships with your team leads and engineers.
- Have met with the distributed teams that contribute to both News apps
- Have met with and are developing a sense of understanding and empathy for your stakeholders.
- Have attended The New York Times Page 1 news meeting.
- After three months on the job, you:
- Are owning the releases for the iOS and Android news apps.
- Have established relationships with the distributed teams that contribute to the News apps.
- Acting a co-lead and authority for the App Platforms team.
- Have familiarize yourself with The Times’ other native applications.
- There is no or minimal travel expected for this role
Who You Are
- You have 2+ years experience in Release Management on both iOS and Android.
- You have 3+ years experience working with native app development in any function.
- Passion for mobile development and scaling processes for building on the iOS and Android platforms.
- You have interest in contributing to the building out of a strategic release management framework.
- Experience with software development projects; an ability to learn technical concepts quickly and communicate those concepts to others. You do not need an engineering background, but need to be comfortable being in conversations with technical teammates on a daily basis.
- You exhibit superb communication skills and can relay strategies, goals, and status to both technical and non-technical stakeholders in both written and verbal formats.
- You are able to build a strong team that consists of both on-site and remote team members.
- Exhibit knowledge of Jira or other equivalent task management tooling.
- You’re passionate about the mission of The New York Times and show a commitment to be part of our innovation and growth.
Nice to have
- You have experience in various roles on a software development team.
- Diverse work experience is a plus - in addition to release management experience, it would be advantageous if you’ve been an engineer, product or project manager, QA engineer, etc. in the past.