The Howard Hughes Medical Institute (HHMI) is the nation's largest private biomedical research institutions, and a leading light in science education. We have achieved this leadership role by capitalizing on change, encouraging risk taking, and fostering innovation. Furthermore, creativity and excellence are fundamental to our success. We have an exciting opportunity for an Investment Systems Business Analyst to join our team at HHMI.
The Business Analyst position is located within the Business Solutions division of HHMI, but it is specifically dedicated to supporting the systems and operations of the Institute’s Investment Office. In this role, the Business Analyst will support on-going IT projects and provide application support to existing systems. The candidate will contribute to the improvement of business processes and support critical business strategies by supporting the project team during development, implementation, and maintenance of business application systems in the investment domain. The Analyst will also apply a range of analytical skills, including systems and business process design, to help drive a multi-year effort to consolidate and rationalize the investment systems architecture at HHMI. This will include the implementation and integration of Consumer-off-the-Shelf solutions (COTS) as well as the development of custom software solutions.
The candidate will build and maintain working relationship with team members and other departments involved in the projects. The candidate will be responsible for performing business analysis activities when needed. Business Analyst responsibilities will include requirements gathering, testing and documentation. Requirements gathering will include researching and analyzing data to define business functions, visualization / mock-ups to help facilitate requirements sessions, gaining process knowledge and understanding / defining system requirements.
Candidate will support on-going support and maintenance of IT applications at headquarters. Candidate will support stakeholders of system applications, maintaining the system and handling user inquiries, user issues, and enhancements to the system. Candidate will have a deep understanding of specific application or set of applications supported, how users use the application, and what other systems integrate with the application.
The candidate will provide back-up support to the Investment Systems Capabilities Manager. The candidate may be responsible for managing smaller projects or leading efforts in the absence of the Capabilities Manager.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Define and Discover (20%): Partner with key stakeholders to analyze business processes, data management, and systems integration needs. Gain clear understanding of project scope in order to understand why the project has been initiated. Perform fit/gap analysis (system capabilities / business processes / business requirements) and research of in-house, third-party or custom solutions to make objective recommendations for both process improvements and IT solutions that effectively capture and automate key business processes. Develop presentation materials, including high-level models to validate processes and solutions, for stakeholder and internal audiences. Successfully justify recommendations and results with estimated / actual costs and benefits.
Design, Develop and Validate (40%): Draft systems specifications detailing the logic, configuration and security requirements to be implemented and perform supporting configuration steps. Identify and implement solutions to meet business objectives and support emerging priorities. Lead Quality Assurance efforts to test system functionality to ensure new products, enhancements, bug fixes and patches have corrected identified problems without introducing regression issues.
Deploy, Deliver and Support (20%): Work with both business and technology partners, to implement and integrate systems and enhancements to the HHMI investment system architecture. Identify change management requirements; assist in the development of documentation and communications to stakeholders and the IT organization as a whole. Develop a high-level of trust with stakeholders to ensure on-going commitment. Possess knowledge of how users use the applications and serve as IT Subject Matter Expert on application and processes. Track issues, handle incoming user inquiries and coordinate issue remediation.
Additional Duties and Responsibilities (20%):
- Assist in the management of projects with Agile/Scrum methodologies
- Assist in the management of project deliverables in Jira
- Facilitate collaboration within and across business units and across IT functions.
- Foster a team environment, open to communication and collaboration.
- Monitor team performance.
- Fill gaps on the capabilities team as needed and appropriate
- Excellent analytical ability, interpersonal, and communication (verbal and written) skills.
- Project management skills – waterfall and agile.
- Attention to Detail: Work is thorough and conscientious about attending to detail.
- Customer Service: Working with clients and customers to assess their needs, providing information or assistance, assigning staff to resolve their problems, or satisfying their expectations; knowing about available products and services; committed to providing quality products and services.
- Oral Communication: Expressing information to individuals or groups effectively, taking into account the audience and nature of the information; making clear and convincing oral presentations; listening to others, attending to nonverbal cues, and responding appropriately.
- Problem Solving: Identifying problems; determining accuracy and relevance of information; using sound judgment to generate and evaluate alternatives, and making recommendations based on technical requirements.
- Bachelor’s degreerequired
- Certifications preferred: IIBA, Scrum Master
- 3+ years of experience working in the investment domain, either for an investment advisor, an asset manager or asset allocator (strongly preferred)
- 5+ years of experience in working on projects using Agile/Scrum methodologies
- 5+ years of experience in gathering, analyzing, and documenting business requirements and processes.
- 5+ years of experience in managing requirements for on-going maintenance and enhancements efforts for existing applications.
- 5+ years of experience in working with a team of subject matter experts and technical experts of a project.
- 5+ years of experience in generating diagrams and flow charts for existing and new processes.
- 5+ years of experience implementing, supporting custom web-based business applications.