Kemper, a publicly-traded, multi-billion-dollar insurance and financial services company, seeks a talented and motivated professional to join its Accounting team at its headquarters in downtown Chicago. This is a fantastic role for a strong performer who is looking to be a key contributor in the Company’s efforts to transform the Accounting and Finance functions through maximization of process efficiency, automation of manual processes (including the use of bots), and improved speed-to-delivery. This role has significant exposure to GAAP, statutory, and SEC accounting, all within a multi-faceted insurance company (life, health, P&C).
Kemper has a proven track record for developing its people for higher roles within the department as well as other functions across its corporate and operating entities. The dynamic work environment at Kemper encourages critical thinking, engaging and empowering finance leaders to work collaboratively with others outside the finance function, and allowing them to achieve their potential, while still enabling work/life flexibility.
Position Responsibilities :
• Managing a team of professionals assigned to record and reconcile investment transactions and balances from both. Kemper has a broad range of investment types/classes, including fixed income (corporate, tax-advantaged, CLO, MBS, ABS, private placement), equity (publicly traded, private, common, preferred), and alternative investments (mezzanine debt, hedge funds, co-investments). This role will greatly expand your knowledge of these investment types, structure, strategies, as well as the accounting for them.
• Leading efforts to automate various processes by developing a deep understanding of source data and end user needs, and then assisting in the design, implementation, and oversight of solution.
• Reviewing security valuations, including more simplistic Level 1 and 2 as well as a variety of more complex Level 3 (matrix modeling, enterprise value, waterfall).
• Participating in periodic management discussions on investment performance and results, including reviewing securities for impairments.
• Drafting investment-related MD&A and reviewing quarterly and annual disclosures for both 10-K/Q and statutory filings.
• Creating and performing ad hoc queries and analyses.
• Planning, implementing and testing investment system upgrades and enhancements.
• Monitoring investment procedures and internal controls, including reengineering processes using best practices.
• Training and mentoring staff.
• Serving as a key resource for special projects with the ability to both lead as well as provide meaningful contributions.
• BA/BS degree in Accounting/Finance. CPA is a strong plus.
• 5+ years of investment accounting/auditing experience (public and/or private).
• Experience with SEC reporting and insurance statutory accounting is a strong plus.
• Experience with CAMRA, Investran, Oracle ledgers, Workiva (wDesk), Blackline, Wings, and software robots are a strong plus.
• Progressive thinking skills, a strong work ethic, and a knack for innovative solutions.
• Excellent communication skills to interact with varying levels of management and professional staff.
• Strong attention to detail required.
• Strong analytical, organizational, and time management skills.
• Ability to identify, analyze and solve accounting and operational issues.
• Intellectually curious, analytically strong, and embracer of change.
Our employees enjoy great benefits:
• Qualify for your choice of health and dental plans within your first month.
• Save for your future with robust 401(k) match, Health Spending Accounts and various retirement plans.
• Learn and Grow with our Tuition Assistance Program, paid certifications and continuing education programs.
• Contribute to your community through United Way and volunteer programs.
• Balance your life with generous paid time off and business casual dress.
• Protect what you love with discounts on home and auto insurance products.
• Get employee discounts for shopping, dining and travel through Kemper Perks.