Job ID 18053
What you would do in this job:
- Perform qualitative and quantitative analysis to evaluate investment opportunities including assessments of credit and sector fundamentals, transaction structure, and liquidity risk.
- Provide expert analysis in assigned sectors.
- Make independent recommendations tailored to client investment needs.
- Contribute to the optimization of portfolio yield and risk by monitoring assigned holdings and making appropriate recommendations.
- Develop and maintain positive working relationships with investment bankers, Wall Street and rating agency analysts.
- Make presentations to senior management, portfolio managers, and clients as required.
What we'd expect from you:
- 5 years of demonstrated investment research success in a sophisticated environment.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills including the ability to make objective recommendations and defend viewpoints.
- Strong math and analytical skills including a strong understanding of financial accounting. Ability to distill and communicate critical issues and assumptions.
- A broad understanding of financial markets and risk models supported by a background in math, economics or statistics.
- A high level of curiosity, attention to detail, and a strong commitment to teamwork.
- Strong academic credentials and experience utilizing research tools such as Bloomberg, Factset and Excel
Preferred skills for this job:
- A four year degree in math, statistics, computer science, economics or finance
- Currently have or are working towards an MBA and/or CFA.
- High yield experience and demonstrated success in a total return fixed income environment
What you could expect from us:
Appreciating diversity and the unique contributions of each associate, Securian fosters a workplace where people can develop and reach their potential. The Company offers opportunities for long-term, career growth in a wide range of fields.
We encourage associates to prepare for future responsibilities and career success by pursuing professional and educational opportunities, and offer an extensive on-campus curriculum of industry programs and customized courses through our Training and Development department.
Providing a family-friendly workplace, we encourage associates to maintain a balance between work and personal activities, and offer a variety of life balance programs and benefits. We understand there's more to life than work.
We also contribute to the health and vitality of the communities where we live and work through our tradition of volunteerism and philanthropy.
The advantages we offer - opportunities for advancement, a positive and flexible work environment, a comprehensive and valuable benefits package, and a commitment to our community - result in an excellent associate retention level.
Physical job requirements:
- Ability to work at least 40 hours per week
- Ability to utilize keyboard, mouse and computer for up to 8 hours per day
- Ability to utilize telephone for approximately 1-4 hours per day
- Ability to perform simple grasping including handwriting, paper manipulation, sorting, folding, etc. periodically throughout entire workday
The physical job requirements described above are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Equal employment opportunity:
Securian Financial Group, Inc. considers applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, genetic information, age, marital or familial status, status with regard to public assistance, disability, or Veteran status. All applicants will be considered solely on the basis of their qualifications.
Department: Fixed Income Research and Trading 9722
Advantus Capital Management is a wholly owned subsidiary of the Securian Financial Group and is a registered investment advisor with over $40 billion in assets under management. We provide compelling investment solutions to our institutional clients through a wide array of active fixed income, real estate, managed volatility and passive- equity vehicles.
Advantus is seeking an experienced corporate bond analyst to support the growth of our public bond portfolios including both high grade and high yield credit. The position is accountable for analyzing and recommending corporate bonds that meet the investment objectives of various portfolio strategies within Advantus Capital.