Schneider Electric Solar Inverters USA, Inc. ("Schneider") is a world leader in advanced power electronics, headquartered near Vancouver, Canada. We are a fast-paced, dynamic cross-functional team-based company. Schneider makes a positive difference in the lives of people around the world by combining proven technology with unparalleled market understanding to bring our customers products that enable the delivery of electricity anytime, anywhere.
We are currently seeking an Inverter Controls Engineer to join the Controls team based in our Burnaby, BC location. This position will be responsible for: research, development, implementation, and documentation of high speed controls and control feedback loops for switched inverters in MATLAB and Simulink environment; simulation, HIL, and lab testing; design documentation, test support and test plan creation; and supporting grid interconnect function and certification testing.
We are looking for a positive, confident, self-motivated, passionate individual with a strong desire to work in an exciting, fast-paced, team based collaborative design environment to help us develop next generation technologies to empower and connect our products to each other, and to our customers.
· Inverter control feedback loop research, development, implementation, simulation, and verification
· Controller stability analysis
· Design, simulate, and test in MATLAB/Simulink
· Perform detailed analysis of control system performance under a variety of operating conditions
· Analyzing requirements
· Researching and developing solutions
· Creating and maintaining detailed design documentation
· Supporting other functional groups in collaborative efforts
· Work with compliance team to ensure successful completion of certification process
· Write engineering requirements, test plans, and validation reports
· Provide input, strongly support, and create design guideline documentation driving forward the continuous improvement of the team practices, process, and methods and overall quality of deliverables.
Education and Experience
· Master’s degree (PhD preferred) in Electrical Engineering, or Mechatronics Engineering with specialization in Control Theory or Automation.
· 8+ years proven experience in controls design and simulation, preferred to have within inverter controls or power electronics
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- · High speed controls design
- · Feedback Control Theory
- · Transfer functions and linearization techniques
- · Loop tuning with frequency stability analysis
- · MATLAB and Simulink programming
- · Control, model and simulation best practices including stability and sensitivity analysis
- · Power electronics architecture, design and control including protection devices, switching technologies, filters, magnetics and their testing
- · High levels of initiative and resourcefulness. Capable of operating with minimal direction.
- · Excellent organizational skills, documentation ability, attention to detail
- · Goal oriented; ability to maintain the greater picture while operating in the details
- · Strong communication and interpersonal skills with demonstrated collaborative teamwork capabilities
- · Structured approach to troubleshooting and problem solving
- · Inverter or other power conversion digital control
- · Knowledge of utility interconnection standards and specifications that PV inverters and plants must meet for specific countries and jurisdictions.
- · Model based systems engineering including hardware in the loop (HIL) testing and direct/auto code generation from simulations/models
- · Power conversion devices (IGBTs, MOSFETs, etc) and the physics of their operation
- · High power (utility scale) bi-directional converter knowledge
- · PV and Grid Tie Energy Storage system architecture / application knowledge
Working Conditions/Environment/Special Requirements
- · Availability for 15% domestic and international travel